KLX 450R Budget Dualsport Wiring Diagram

Here goes with my first photobucket upload....

Updated Flasher Wiring March 15, 2009 Fair elecrician, Poor Draftsman!!FLASHER WIRE (P) TO POWER, DARK GREEN (LED) to ground.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss30/absurveyor/KLX450DSWiringDiagram.jpg

I decided to do my own dualsport kit. I have yet to complete the installation, but here's my wiring diagram. The entire setup has been bench tested. I thought it might be helpful for those that are always asking the same questions. It cost me about $150 Canadian ( $110 US)

I have ordered the factory style connectors from Easternbeaver. My wife says I am type "A" for detail. Shipping was the same day and you can order for way cheap!!

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

I picked up the parts from Gnarly parts out of Richmond BC. Shipping was quick and they almost match US pricing in Canadian dollars!

Parts List:

1 X K&S Handlebar Switch $39.95cdn I kept the factory kill switch in place because I need the horn.

1 x Baja Designs LED Taillight/Fender $69.95cdn

1 x K&S LED Turn Signal Relay This works with LED's $17.95cdn

1 x K&S Economy Horn $6.95cdn 2 x DRC Hydraulic Brake Light Switches Bolt Style (Japan Bikes) $23.90cdn

OPTRONICS MCL-13AB Mini Sealed, 2-Hole Surface Mount Amber Marker Light- Front Signals are Very Small, Flash Bright- I picked mine up at an RV store. They are a direct replacement for Komfort travel trailers. I used 6/32 stainless screws to attach them.

60 feet of 3 strand surplus trailer wire from Princess Auto $6.99 The best deal I have ever found

As usual this is my idea of how to do it, others may have a better way. And I am not responsible for anything you do. Most days I wish I wasn't responsible for the things I do!?

Thanks absurveyor, for this detailed wiring diagram. I am also in the process of putting together a budget dual sport kit for my bike and plan to start installing this weekend. I have been pacing myself as we are still a few weeks off the riding season here in northern BC:ride:

I would be interested to see pics and read more about your install.

My connectors have been held up in the mail:bonk: I was going to complete it this weekend but it may have to wait. I'll get some PIC's up as I go this weekend. You can PM for details, and I have free Canada wide calling for any questions.

The boss wants to go shopping,?

To be continued......

Snap...I also ordered a box of goodies from Gnarly parts. The pricing is certainly keen and Dave provides good service with free shipping over $150.

My parts list is similar except for the handlebar switch. I have a Kawasaki switch from a KLX250. I have checked the service manual and the wiring looks fairly clear. The other difference is the flashers. I have ordered 2 sets of the DRC led flashers and the Edge 2 tail light and plate holder. Having seen the Baja fitted to the KLX I have questioned my decision to go with the edge 2.

I will also try and get some pics of the install and progress with the D/S preparation.

Some good news today - I tried a different insurance broker and she is confident that I can get it plated without an inspection.

The roads here are still a bit dicy, however it was +5 this afternoon so spring should be with us soon (only kidding.......last year it was near the end of June:foul: ).

Thanks Mele63

It took forever to find a supplier! I found a thread on the WR 450 page. I wish there was a place to post this for all Thumper readers? My wife was starting to think I did not love her cause I was on the net sooo much. ? Like you I am picky on the details, except I usually wreck my nice work with a crash.

Most suppliers would only send 50 of each single item ($20)instead of all the parts to make one connector. This would add up to $60 to make just one connector! Jim at easterm beaver seems like a good guy to deal with. I just wish I would have ordered some single wire connectors....

Here's another option...

http://trailtech.net/crimp_kit.html

and another...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96658

If I wasn't so anxious to ride the darn thing the wiring would've been a work of art, complete with quick disconnects everywhere.

I am happy to say, however, that my work withstood a day of riding, including a ton of mud and a good powerwashing afterward....

today071a.jpg

• Like 1

I wish I could ride, we can't around here without ice studs. Did you find any better throttle response today Mele63 ?

I bumped the idle speed just a bit, and it eliminated the stalling problem I had on my first ride.

I still think I want lower gearing though, from looking around here it seems easier to change the front sprocket than the rear (new chain not required), unless I'm missing something?

The 12 tooth front sprocket (KXF sprocket) will wear faster and possibly wear out the swing arm slider faster..

BUT it's worth a shot.

Yes, I decided to try it (just ordered a 12T). My chain (the whole bike, actually) only has 50 miles on it, so I didn't want to buy a new chain already. Also, it seems the 12T - stock combo is nice and low, whereas some guys have said the 52T rear is still a bit high for the tight trails.

I am running the 12T. Couldn't be happier. It looks like the sprocket and slider are gonna last about as long as the rear sprocket. I could be wrong. I do keep a close eye on the slider, though. The difference in performance, for where I ride, is well worth the extra attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Well our winter weather just won't quit! I did get the connectors from Eastern beaver. They took 2 weeks from Japan. The connectors are AWEsome, fit and finish is great with the nice connectors. Most of the wiring is done, just waiting on some signal lights to come in. I will post the pictures once I have some more wiring complete this weekend.

If I had to do it again I would have ordered a KX rear fender and skipped the BD fender modification required to work around the stock tail light.?

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your work. I also debated the KX450F rear fender. In my case it was more of an issue of "saving" my original fender from drill holes, but it's finally getting through my thick skull that "saving" things usually means they end up in a box somewhere taking up space.

For others considering various tail light options, I should point out that if you get the whole BD dual sport kit, it will transform your stock tail light to a brake light (rather than a full-time running light).

I have tried a KXF rear fender with a small L.E.D taillight setup (similar to an Acerbis item). I have found the rear fender needs a brace fom the subframe to support it as it will flap around and eventually tear the fender just behind the top bolt holes.

Aus613

I had thought the MX fender might be weaker. I am the same way with "saving" stuff. The next time I see it is when I go to sell the bike and give the guy the as new parts. I finished most of it yesterday, boy what a ton of work! Most of it was not the wiring, but the mods to fit the wiring,lights, brake switch. I would say 15 to 20 hours plus time for research. Most of that was spent staring at the bike trying to see where things would fit. If I had the parts ready I could do the next one in 6 hours.

If the moderator could please open my original thread for editing, I would add some pics and tips to it, to keep things organized.

boy what a ton of work! Most of it was not the wiring, but the mods to fit the wiring,lights, brake switch. I would say 15 to 20 hours plus time for research. Most of that was spent staring at the bike trying to see where things would fit. .

That sounds like me, if I had to make a living working on bikes, I would starve. Then you see guys saying they installed a whole Baja Designs Kit in one evening.......

Thanks. I followed the diagram and everything works:thumbsup: I have managed to navigate the system and the KLX is street legal without requiring an inspection. It is set to warm up over the next few days. Time to ride:ride:

Glad hear it all worked for you. I will get some pics up, as soon as I have completed my sons XR100 project bike. We are supposed to be leaving for a riding weekend Thursday, and I am scrambling to get the carb float set! Too many bikes , too little time!