Sign in to follow this  

CRF STUFF Team Replica Oversize Rotor Upgrade part II

Which Rotor Style do you prefer?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rotor Style do you prefer?

• I like style #1, the jagged original HONDA design!
    • I like style #2, the slightly modified smooth radius design!

We have been on the fence with how we felt about the unfinished appearance of the jagged 2009 factory rotor design. It just don't look right to us. Even though the 2009 rotor profile was the clear winner in our last TT poll,

We were just about ready to unleash the sharks with fricken lasers on some stainless sheet when we thought "Hey, what would TT'ers say? "

So..... Before we rip into our next huge 280mm design, let us know what you think about these options-

Style# 1 is the jagged original HONDA style,

Style #2 with a nice smooth radiused profile is what it should look like in our opinion.

280MOD1.jpg

280MOD2.jpg

We are ready to pull the trigger on our next production run, but wanted to run this past you guys one last time to see what you think of our smoother looking design option #2.

Let us know what you think.Your Vote Counts!

The 2009 Factory Team 280mm brake upgrade version below.

DM800.jpg

PS- We will continue to offer the "Old Skool Kit" shown below along with this a 2009 style profile.

Prokitpure.jpg

the only diffrence i see is the rough draft and the final draft. its the same drawing, with one of them not drawn so good. i dont get it

the only diffrence i see is the rough draft and the final draft. its the same drawing, with one of them not drawn so good. i dont get it

In #1, if you look at the small dips on the outside of the rotor, the tops are flat. In #2, the tops are rounded more, giving it a smoother look.

I like #1.

And just think you can get that for just under 300 bucks!!! Talk about bang for your buck! What a joke!!

I looked at my stock 2009 rotor; it is certainly got the "jagged" edge.

I am an engineer by education but that was a long time ago. Do thermodynamics laws say that the jagged edge may allow for more heat disipation?

I say go factory replica all the way.

From Japan this weekend:

464Y8159.JPG

464Y7822.JPG

That appears to be the 2008 280mm HRC style, which is my favorite, however the 2009 jagged style got the most votes in the poll we did a few weeks ago.

whens the rotor kit gonna be avail? I want one

Once we decide which outer design we will be going with, we will have these new kits available for sale in about 4 weeks. Probably around May 1st.

Our original 280mm Factory Team Replica kits are available now here

I prefer the traditional style with the round outer edge vs the newer "wave" style outer edge.

How about a 260mm rotor?

Hi Rick,

What's your experience with running different sized rotors? Are you experiencing too much braking power with the 280?

Also,

On another note, we have gotten quite a few requests for a rear rotor upgrade to go with our front kit, but we're not sure what direction to take with that.

The caliper locating bracket is much more complicated and would make it close to a $300 kit. With the high cost and the fact that about 80% of your braking power comes from the front brake it doesn't seem like a feasible product.

The 4 rear rotor mounting points prevent us from doing a rear rotor with the same inner design as our front replicas. When our new 2009 front style comes out, owners of earlier models can upgrade the rear rotor to the 2009 style if having the rotors look similar is important.

Thanks for the feedback!

Scott

Some info from you from the blue camp (yamaha). Prior to 02 they used a 240mm rotor in the rear. Then they upgraded to a 245mm unit. The 245 unit fit on the earlier 99-01 bikes without issue. no adapter needed.

I did the swap on a 426 and beyond the new look did nothing to improve the rear performance. LIke you said, most all the braking is done with the front. A more aggressive pad in the rear is all it takes really, but you have to watch the heat issues with the CRFs smaller rear brake system. A rear rotor to match the front like the HRC bikes would look great for sure! Like you said for the earlier bikes especially

I would like more rear power, somehow. My rear goes away on trail rides. I know the smaller rear caliper and maybe the small master cylinder are the culprit, so I dont think any larger diameter rear rotor will help. Just my .02 cents.