Sign in to follow this  

Pressing in new valve guides

I am in the process of rebuilding the top end of my 97 XR4. I am replacing the rings, valves and the valve guides. My buddy who is helping me and has the rebuild knowledge mentioned possibly heating up the head and pressing in the valve guides. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what temp did they get it to? I am hoping to do this myself instead of paying a shop a bunch of money. I am trying to do as much as possible on my own instead of giving money away. Any guidance on the do-it-yourself valve guide install would be greatly appreciated. If I have to then I will take it to the shop. Just for info they are kimble white valves and guides.....

Valve guides are not an easy DIY project. You will need a valve guide driver and a guide reamer to successfully do the job. If you do not have these tools, I suggest that you have it done by a competent machine shop or a Honda dealer. Anyway, the head needs to be heated to 200-300F to remove/install the guides. I have worked on a considerable number of XR engines and have seldom seen guides that needed replacement. Check the stem to guide clearances & see if they are in spec.

Thanks for that info. I believe my buddy has those tool but we were unsure of temps. What we were going off of was that the intake guides were nice and tight and the exhaust guides had some slop in it. Nothing horrible but I wanted to fix it while we had it apart. Thanks for your thoughts....

I am in the process of rebuilding the top end of my 97 XR4. I am replacing the rings, valves and the valve guides. My buddy who is helping me and has the rebuild knowledge mentioned possibly heating up the head and pressing in the valve guides. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what temp did they get it to? I am hoping to do this myself instead of paying a shop a bunch of money. I am trying to do as much as possible on my own instead of giving money away. Any guidance on the do-it-yourself valve guide install would be greatly appreciated. If I have to then I will take it to the shop. Just for info they are kimble white valves and guides.....

I let the dealer press mine in for me. You could get lucky and they might even mildly port your head while they have it. :)

Well I talked to the guy at the machine shop and he mentioned to find something and try tapping them out. He thought they would barely be in there and I could just hammer them out. Well being the genious that I am I used an all to get in there and hit. Well as any smart person could figure out I cracked the guide. After that I stopped but when I took it up to the shop he took an impact hammer gun and pushed them out. Well all but that one that I messed up. I might have gotten it done for free (hook-up) if it would have popped out. Now I had to leave it there until he has time. Atleast he is going to put the new guides in and clean the head up. Atleast it is being done right now:) My rings came in yesterday so as soon as they call me I can get this pig back together. I can't wait.

BTW---and nobody seems to have mentioned it---replacing the guides will slightly alter the positions of the valves, depending how lucky you are. Properly speaking, the seats should be re-cut... No?

Yup those are getting re-done when I get it back. My buddy had the tools for doing that. Good point though...