Sign in to follow this  

I wanted a dirtbike, but somehow ended up with two

So a lot of my friends had been getting 4wheelers and trying to talk me into getting one so I could hit the trails with them. I just couldn't bring myself to get a quad, so I was looking to get a cheap dirtbike to tag along with them without having to borrow one of their machines.

Well I found a pretty decent '89 KX250 about 2 weeks ago. I checked it out. It wasn't the prettiest, but it had a fresh top end put in. It ran out really well and it really seems like a solid bike. Plus I have known the guys' mom for a long time and I know how the family treats and maintains their equipment, so I felt pretty good about getting the older bike. It was about perfect for what I was wanting.....a good running, cheap bike. About all it really needs is a seatcover which I have ordered already.

After loading it up I headed home. I stopped at the local Honda dealer to pick up some 2 stroke oil. Was talking with the store owner about dirtbikes and he told me about another bike for sale. He knew I could get it for a good price since the kid who had it had been fired from the dealership a couple weeks back. So less than an hour after I picked up one bike, I got a line on another bike.

I ended up talking with the kid and he was hurting for money real bad. I took cash when I went to look at it. I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on it. It's an '04 Kawi KX250, all black plastics, Fatbar handlebars, and brand new rear tire.

So now I'll probably end up trying to sell the '89 either now or sometime when the weather gets warmer. I actually like the '89. It's kinda got an old school vibe to it. Maybe I just like it because it was the popular bike back when I was a teenager. Anyway, I don't really need two dirtbikes, so the older one will probably be gone at some point. Have to wait and see.

My first order of business this weekend is to make some decent stands. The buckets aren't quite cutting it.

023a.jpg

034.jpg

Nice buy(s)! I agree with getting rid of the vintage bike though. I don't know much about older bikes but... yeah. The 04 looks great though, you should have a lot of fun in trails. Especially against quads.

keep em both :)

yea, really, nice to have a back up bike. your garage looks big enough, so storage isn't an issue.

It's really nice to have a backup bike. When you decide you need to do some maintenance on the 04, you'll have the 89 to take out. That 89 KX is no slouch either. If the suspension, bearings, and engine are decent it should rip pretty good. Your 04 looks sweet too. Congrats!

J.

Congratulations on the two bikes. Consider keeping both. If I lived a lot closer, I am certain you would not need two bikes, but since it is too far to drive, keep both. :)