Sign in to follow this  

85 Cr500

I Am Currently Getting My 85 Cr500 Up And Running. Just Want To Know About Your Cr500, Problems, Likes, And Anything Else You Want To Talk About. Technical Info Is Much Needed. Thanks

Just know that the bike was soo good it hardly changed from introduction to expiry in 2001. If I had an 85, I would try to find forks off an 87-88 just for the cartridge damping system. Otherwise, the motor was strong. Ride it yourself and tell us what you don't like about it. We'll try to help you fix the problems.

Thanks guys. I will keep my proggress updated. I need to find a case half because of corrosion around the water pump. thanks again

JB weld works to fix the corrosion. I recommend JB weld, I tried other epoxies and they failed due to the heat.

I had an 85 I bought new back then. Also had 88 and 89 model CR500s. The 85 was by far the most powerful of the three. It was the most powerful 500 I ever rode (including several KX500s) but also very hard to handle. Brutal low end hit and short mid then signs off. Very close to what the Johnson and Bailey were running at the time in their Factory 500s. Honda then spent years trying to tone the motor down. Later versions are much easier to ride.

Suspension is noncartridge in front and not that great. Rear drum brake really sucked.

Made the 81 YZ250 I had before it seem like a 50 in comparison.

Wow, Dennit1. That's a beauty. Looks all original... Must've scared the crap out of the original owner!

Yep... the '85's were brutal. I traded mine for an '85 XR350 when I discovered I could go faster on my 250. But there wasn't a hillclimb or a straightaway that bike wouldn't chew up and spit out.

you can use the newer model right side case half to take care of that problem.. dont quote me on part #'s though i cant remember off the top of my head. There are a few CR500 related forums around that are excellent for this kind of info. One of them being bannedcr500riders.com