Sign in to follow this  

Asking my old friends here because the 450 forum isn't helpful

Wow, I never realized selling my XR650's would have serious consequences, like having to move to another TT Forum!

I have been in the 450x forum, and I feel like a traitor and a newbie all over again:foul:

I guess it is part of my punishment, but the forum there is WAY less active than on the 650 side, and way less helpful.

//Rant off.

With that said, I know that alot of the guys on THIS, THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE FORUM also own 450s, so you might be able to help me out...

I did the research on making my 450x street legal in Colorado, and all I need now is a taillight/brakelight and brakelight switch, and a speedo. (I already have or have sourced the DOT tires, mirror, and horn) I have seen that many of you use the trailtech Vapor with great success, but wondered if anyone has used an inexpensive analog... when my previous Vapor died on my XR650R, I just replaced it with an analog that was bulletproof.

As far as the taillight is concerned, I figured I should get an undertail with a plate holder and wire it to a brakelight switch. Is this a difficult task or easy? If anyone has posted a walkthrough on the steps I would appreciate it. thanks in advance for your responses.

This is the analog speedo I had on my XR650R, but I used only on the street. Anyone run this cheapo on their bike?

05-9047Lg.jpg

It's for sale here for $52... can't get much cheaper than that I bet.

• Like 1

The Vapors are very unreliable, its a shame because they have so many features.

I'm waiting for someone to make one that can actually last as long as the XR... fat chance.

The Analog will do fine.

• Like 1

Hey motomike... You might look in to these kits. http://www.dualsportamerica.com/dsa-barely-legal-kit.html

My dad put one on his X and its really slick. They have an LED brakelight that mounts in the stock tail light location, a really trick license plate light. A Dual filiment headlight that fits in the stock headlight housing and as an added bonus you get a keyed ignition switch. If you so desire you can add turn signals to the kit too. The license plate bracket is a really light aluminum unit. Those big plastic combo jobs are heavy and bulky and all that weight floppin around back there always wiggles my fender bolts loose. I am very seriously considering getting rid of my BD dual sport kit for my XRR and getting one from those guys.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great replies gents... like I expected, this forum has the most helpful folks on Thumpertalk.

I gave +1/Gas to all who replied.

Where in Colorado are you? Just so you know speedo, dot tires, and a different tail light aside from the stock one are not required items. Tires have to be "suitable for highway use" they do not have to meet dot requirements. For the tail light you should get a hydraulic switch and a resistor and wire it in to the stock light and you will be covered or you can probably find a replacement tail light that will fit in the stock location that already has it incorporated. Speedo you just plain dont need unless you want one. Technically you still need a horn and mirror but these are pretty easy.

I will gladly give you a hand if you live near by.

Thanks for the great replies gents... like I expected, this forum has the most helpful folks on Thumpertalk.

I gave +1/Gas to all who replied.

I can certainly relate after selling the pig! Feel like wall paper on the WR450 forum and an ugly step child on the KTM 2-smoke forum.

071218191.jpg

When I bought my 05 WR450....I thought cool! an analog odo. Old school guys love analog. I mean a scratchy Neil Young LP sounds so pure compared to a digital cd. Anyway I wanted to find a Speedo/ODO that would stay within the dimensions of the stock ODO and preferably say 'Yamaha' on the lens for that OEM look.

Old timers might remember the mid 80s Yamaha TY350, it was a nice trails bike with the speedo mounted half way up the forks. Most importantly it had a 21 inch front wheel. Bought one on e-bay for $50, hoping it would work with my oem cable...it did. I took the ODO mount, flipped it over..did a little reaming to accommodate the TY Speedo. Used rubber washers from the ODO for mounting and less vibration.

I have no slack in the OEM cable when forks are fully extended, but it works and is accurate. Just thought I'd share

I think speedo's are required in Colorado. Check out the forms section on the MVD web page. :)

I did still not required. Lights, horn, tires, motive power, mirror, thats it and its self certified. Trust me been there, done that, more than once.

$52! That's not cheap. I'm planning on using a ebay speedo when I can get one for cheap enough.

I really like that TY350 speedo. I might have to keep my eyes open for one.

A speedo is a nice addition even if it's not required in your state. I find it hard to tell what is 25, 35, 45, etc. My bike wants to go a lot faster than 35 when I'm trying to do that speed. I usually just end up following someone.

$52! That's not cheap. I'm planning on using a ebay speedo when I can get one for cheap enough.

I really like that TY350 speedo. I might have to keep my eyes open for one.

A speedo is a nice addition even if it's not required in your state. I find it hard to tell what is 25, 35, 45, etc. My bike wants to go a lot faster than 35 when I'm trying to do that speed. I usually just end up following someone.

Thanks, I rode by one of those 'watch your speed' radar signs and it posted the same speed I was showing on the speedo.

RM1 is right, not required on CO MVD forms. I'll inform my local southern CO dealerships of this since they insist you need one. I still wonder what a CO MVD clerk would say on inspection of a bike without a speedo. They sure did insist on seeing mine here in NM.

I agree on wanting a speedo on a bike used for any length of time on the road.

Nmnorge, In colorado no-one looks at your bike for compliance, you sign a form at the dmv certifying it has the required equipment. I have to admit i thought it was a joke at first.

SIGMA bike computer, i have one on my 650l and my zx12r. they give you a speedo, extra trip meter, remember top speed, riding time, and are only around $30, try ebay. the battery lasts 2 years. the sigma's for some reason go up to 190mph. not that hard to mount either. i've had the one thats on the zx12r for 6yrs, it's worked flawless.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/sigma-sport/computers/PRD_383014_1624crx.aspx

I have the exact one on my XR, a 92 600R, and I do not believe it is acurrate, if it is I have yet to keep it under 80 on the freeway. I am going to have my wife follow my in her van and just see how off it is. Who knows, it may be right on, but I do really like the clean simple look of the speedo. Kinda old school, just the bare essentals to get by on the street, the less clutter, the more I like it.

This is the analog speedo I had on my XR650R, but I used only on the street. Anyone run this cheapo on their bike?

05-9047Lg.jpg

that is the exact speedo that i use on my xr650r. it seems to read accurately but the backlight isn't very good. it's tough to see what it says in the dark. i also want a heat sensor so i'm looking hard at the vapor gauges. thanks to this thread i'm also looking at the sigma products.

I put the exact one on my XR a few weeks ago. So far, I've run about 100 miles of trail riding and 150 miles of tough desert racing including a couple of bone jarring crashes and it seems to function well. $52 is a great price! I paid $65 for mine from BD.