Sign in to follow this  

Any good riding in WNC?

I am located in Weaverville, NC (just north of asheville) and I'm into any kind of off-road riding out there, mx, trails, freeriding, you name it and i'll ride it no problem especially if its close and free. But there lies my problem, I am running out of places to ride. I used to drive out to the micah mines in spruce pine there were no tresspassing signs but the sheriff didn't really inforce it. well the new sheriff they got a couple years ago started inforcing it, so no more riding there. I also rode last fall in brush creek, between marshall and hot springs, I've since talked to people that said you aren't suppossed ride there anymore. lol I wondered why I never seen another person on the trails, but then again there are no signs and no gates so am I really breaking any laws? I've heard of somewhere in the grapevine/petersburg area between marshall and mars hill but haven't really heard much about it does anyone know of any freeriding places that are still legal? within 45min-one hour of weaverville/marshall/asheville. I know of a couple private tracks but they get old after a while and I really prefer freeriding and just making up my own lines and stuff. thats what was so cool about "gushers knob"(the micah mines RIP :) ). I've been to brown and brushy but thats a bit more of a drive then I want to take on a regular basis. any secret riding spots would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

I am located in Weaverville, NC (just north of asheville) and I'm into any kind of off-road riding out there, mx, trails, freeriding, you name it and i'll ride it no problem especially if its close and free. But there lies my problem, I am running out of places to ride. I used to drive out to the micah mines in spruce pine there were no tresspassing signs but the sheriff didn't really inforce it. well the new sheriff they got a couple years ago started inforcing it, so no more riding there. I also rode last fall in brush creek, between marshall and hot springs, I've since talked to people that said you aren't suppossed ride there anymore. lol I wondered why I never seen another person on the trails, but then again there are no signs and no gates so am I really breaking any laws? I've heard of somewhere in the grapevine/petersburg area between marshall and mars hill but haven't really heard much about it does anyone know of any freeriding places that are still legal? within 45min-one hour of weaverville/marshall/asheville. I know of a couple private tracks but they get old after a while and I really prefer freeriding and just making up my own lines and stuff. thats what was so cool about "gushers knob"(the micah mines RIP :) ). I've been to brown and brushy but thats a bit more of a drive then I want to take on a regular basis. any secret riding spots would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

Hello dirt rider,

I live about 10 minutes from Spruce Pine and the area around the Mica mines are closed due to Unimin Corp. enforcing the "No Trespass" policy which local law enforcement must abide by.Gusher's Knob is also closed:busted:

However there are still some riding area's open at Gouge's Creek in Spruce Pine and Henson Creek in Avery County.Both area's are technical terrain and involve hills and rocky & rooty sections also:devil: Gouge's Creek has just recently reopened due to a Hunting Club lease being expired so I will check this out personally.However this is still quite a drive for you to play in the dirt:ride:

Local Law Enforcement had no choice on enforcing the no tresspass. The land owners shut everything down when a person was killed while riding double on a ATV on land that was clearly posted against tresspass. For years the owners did not say anything about riders but after this incident it all came to a stop. I guess this is happening a lot of places now. Here in Avery County a lot of places that it was no problem to ride on will now get you a free ride to somewhere you do not want to go if you get caught.

no plate for me right now. I'd like to get a 450 mxer and make a street legal supermoto out of someday when I fall into some money.

Its a real shame that all those places are closed now. I loved going to gushers knob, some of those hills were rediculous I was waiting till I already had jacked up bars and levers to try the bigger ones but never got the chance. let me know how gouges creek goes I wouldn't mind taking a ride out there if its for a good cause like riding my bike somewhere new. any pics or anything of henson creek? are they mostly trails or is there some open terrain like gushers knob I love that stuff it looks like something straight out of one of the freestyle videos.

no plate for me right now. I'd like to get a 450 mxer and make a street legal supermoto out of someday when I fall into some money.

Its a real shame that all those places are closed now. I loved going to gushers knob, some of those hills were rediculous I was waiting till I already had jacked up bars and levers to try the bigger ones but never got the chance. let me know how gouges creek goes I wouldn't mind taking a ride out there if its for a good cause like riding my bike somewhere new. any pics or anything of henson creek? are they mostly trails or is there some open terrain like gushers knob I love that stuff it looks like something straight out of one of the freestyle videos.

Gouge's Creek & Henson Creek are mostly a mix of old mining roads and ATV trails,however it is technical riding in many sections such as crossing from Gouge's Creek side to Henson Creek is Moonrock City:eek: with large rocks and riding directly on the ridgeline with a beautiful view from the Whiterock Overlook above Cane Creek in Bakersville.No open terrain like Gusher's Knob.

It would be closer for you to unload at Spruce Pine if Gouge's Creek area is open now and we can ride from that point.I will know more by midweek.What type of bike do you ride:thinking:

Yanni says tagged knobbies, I say supermoto. Both are great ways to find good stuff amid all the development that has robbed our woods of favorite places to ride. You can't fight the wave so just surf it instead.

My Husky SM610 and my sons YZ450 out last weekend hooliganin' around.:)

DSCF0252.jpg

That looks like an EXC light on the Yamaha. If it is I bet you don't ride much after the sun goes down.

Tell me it ain't true that you have to drain the rads on the 610 to adjust the valves.

Not true. I've heard of guys doing that but all you have to do is unbolt the right one off the frame and hold it forward out of your way with a bungie cord while leaving the hoses hooked up and fluid intact. I can adust my valves in about 45min on the 610.

I've also never had an overheating issue on the road or in the woods. In fact I took the rad fan off when I got the bike cuz I had never heard it come on and thought it was overkill. You, me and Gary know the Husky's rule...those poor Katoomer's need not ever know. Hehe

And I'll take another cheap, thread-jackin' opportunity here to show off the bikes again too.

(sorry hemroid620, but this is meant to inspire you to get a tag)

IMG_2163.jpg

junkiepics.jpg

I ride a 2005 RM250, I am thinkin of doing some of the hair scrambles around wnc this spring/summer and maybe some of the summer sx at I-81 and app. fairgrounds.

That yz450 supermoto is something exactly along the lines of what I would want in the future!

I ride a 2005 RM250, I am thinkin of doing some of the hair scrambles around wnc this spring/summer and maybe some of the summer sx at I-81 and app. fairgrounds.

That yz450 supermoto is something exactly along the lines of what I would want in the future!

Buffalo Mtn. near Johnson City is a short ride but good if you have never been there,also Callalentee in Mountain City TN offers much more ride time and has challenging sections such as the Welder's trail and Bowling Ball Hill:devil:

I am thinkin of doing some of the hair scrambles around wnc this spring/summer

:banghead: My hair gets scrambled every time I ride a hare scramble, well that is if I had any hair. :)

:banghead: My hair gets scrambled every time I ride a hare scramble, well that is if I had any hair. :)

:lol:My ride pal Danny (05 200exc) always asks me if his head has a sunburn due to no hair:smirk:

Buffalo Mtn. near Johnson City is a short ride but good if you have never been there,also Callalentee in Mountain City TN offers much more ride time and has challenging sections such as the Welder's trail and Bowling Ball Hill:devil:

Can you tell me more about buffalo Mtn. I will be going to I 81 this weekend and camping. There is not much there so I may leave a little early if there is another spot close by to check out.

Can you tell me more about buffalo Mtn. I will be going to I 81 this weekend and camping. There is not much there so I may leave a little early if there is another spot close by to check out.

The marked trails are not very technical and include the regular roots and rocks with a slick red clay section also.The concrete pass over point is a good place to drop your bike and hear it go "CRUNCH" as I witnessed last year with a Yamaha 450:banghead: ATV riders poured concrete on this bad rock section so they could cross easier:lame:

I drive from Bakersville so I take the Elizabethton exit and take a left on University Parkway where my next turn will be Cherokee RD and follow for a few miles until you reach the Cherokee Elem.School and turn left(or right depending on your direction of travel) Drive to the top of the mountain and there will be a sign and a paved parking lot,there is also a ATV unloading ramp.Beware of the trail riding in & out for it is 1-way with traffic:cripple:

I've heard of buffalo mtn but never been, I think I need to do some more woods riding I've been riding mostly tracks for the last few years. I really wanted to try and race the whole victory sports mega or ultra series but the mx stuff cost to much and not enough ride time. In the hair scramble races I figure I'll get more then enough ride time in the 2 hour races, and I'd even like to try the 4 hour ironman style race.

check out brown mountain trail system just north of morganton on hwy 181 north,about 1 hour drive time from ashville. numerous trails from easy fire roads to tight technical and off-camber trails.expect mud,rocks,and roots. passes are 5.00$. all off road vehicles allowed even 4x4 trucks perticipate in hill climbs

I couldn't make my living if there wasn't any good LEGAL riding here.

This is simple. Do you have a plate?

You have no idea how many places I ride just because of my plate. No signs, no gates, no problems...needs to be your motto from now on. WNC has been my playground for a LONG time now. My epiphony? Get a plate, and I can show you stuff right in your backyard you never knew existed.

I am in Waynesville and a Haywood County native. Word. :thumbsup:

Off topic I know but how easy is it to get a plate in WNC? I'm in Waynesville too with an old XR350R that needs to see more action..

Off topic I know but how easy is it to get a plate in WNC? I'm in Waynesville too with an old XR350R that needs to see more action..

DITTO. I would like to know what steps are involved in getting my 08 KTM 300 plated. I live in SC