Sign in to follow this  

Xr600r Low Rpm Stuttering ???

Hello, I need help with a low rpm stuttering problem. My specs:

96 XR600R, YOSHIMURA HEADDER AND TAIL PIPE, SNORKLE REMOVED, MIKUNI 41MM NON PUMPER CARB. JETTING: PILOT 22.5, MAIN 240, NEEDLE

4TH FROM TOP, AIR SCREW 1 3/4 TURNS OUT, 500' ELEV.

SYMPTOMS: LOW END IS GOOD AND RESPONSIVE AS IS MID AND WOT. WHEN I TRY TO MAINTAIN A GIVEN SPEED USING APPROX 1/4 THROTTLE, IT STUTTERS AND HESITATES WITH AN EVER SO SLIGHT POPPING SOUND, NOT EXACTLY A BACKFIRE BANG. wHEN GIVEN GAS , IT TAKES OFF STRONG. THE STUTTERING IS SO STRONG THAT IT FEELS LIKE I'M RUNNING OUT OF GAS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

I failed to mention that the pilot jet that was installed was a 17.5. Was having problems starting and low end hesitation and XRS Only recommended to increase the pilot. The next size I had was a 22.5 so thats whats in it now. It seemed to help with starting and definitely helped the low end hesitation.

Originally the needle was in the 3rd groove from the top and last week I had moved it to the 2nd from top. It didnt seem to run as well but will have to admit, I didnt run it enough to get to full op temp. I then richened the needle the other way to the 4th from top and it ran good except for the stuttering. Should I go to 1st groove from top to see the difference? or just go back to the 2nd and try again? Thanks for the replies and help Eddie.

on clip 3 it still stuttered. That was the way it came when I bought the bike.

I tried clip 2 from top and warmed it up. There is a big hesitation when I hit the throttle, even gradually. I am going to put it back to 3rd clip from top. Could the stuttering be from the air screw in the pilot circut?

well the needle is back in the 3rd from top and still had stuttering. I turned the air screw out 3 turns from seated and most of the stuttering was gone but now it idles a bit high. I can only increase the idle with the idle screw and cant decrease it, it just darn near comes out. I went from a 17.5 pilot to a 22.5 and do you think I need to go higher?

its a fuel screw not a air screw.if oyu have to runthe fuel screw out that far it needs a bigger pilot jet.

as far as idle speed goes does the cable have free play?

My screw is on the left side towards the airbox, wouldn't this be an air screw???? My throttle has about 1/2" of play before feeling any slide tension. I will bump the pilot from a 22.5 to a 25. What brand/type of jet should I get for a Mikuni 41mm flatslide non pumper???

Thanks for all the help as I do realize you keep up on hundreds of these threads in addition to your real job. Hats off to you Eddie.

the next size smaller pilot I have is a 17.5. Is this too big a jump? If so, what would be the nearest size? what type/brand fits my carb?

Hello again, I finally installed a size 20 pilot and the bike was hard to start when cold. The stumbling is less significant now. Let the bike cool down completely and could not get it started. I swear I kicked it over 50 times!!! I pulled the plug and it appeared good, sorta black but dry. Remeber that this is a Mikuni non-pumper flatslide. Would turning the air screw out or in help with starting?

yes I am using the choke when cold starting. I turned the air screw out another 1/2 turn and the bike started on the third kick. When I removed the plug yesterday, I forgot to replace the plug wire and before I realized this, I had kicked it over at least 10 times. Perhaps I flooded it? What would be the best remedy if I flood the bike again in the future? Would really suck if this happened out on a ride. Thanks again Eddie.

hey bromco,i am considering getting a mikuni non pumper for my warm xr 600. would you recomend them or are they more hassle than they are worth?