Sign in to follow this  

lookin into a cr500

hey all i've been keeping my eye out for cr500s and found a reasonably priced 86' model with a fresh rebuild how are the 86's compared to other years. and what should i keep an eye/ear open to while looking for one

Strongest motor, suspenion and brakes may leave some to be desired. I'm not sure if 86 had gone cartridge on the fork yet. If it has, suspension is ok, otherwise it's way behind the times. The other major issue is the drum rear brake or the rod that operates it. It wont take long in deep ruts or rocky single tracks before you bend that thing.

With that said, if you see a good deal on one, jump on it. The bike is 22 years old, it has already depreciated as much as it can. If you don't like it, resell it for what you bought it for. It's not losing any more value.

what do you think would be a good price for it as he wants a thousand

I would think $1000 is reasonable for an 86 if it were a complete bike in fair or better condition. For older bikes, the most important thing is that it's complete because parts are more expensive and harder to get.

bannedcr500riders.com is good source of info. What 87250 said^ great motor, suspension is dated. If the rebuild is verifiable that is pretty decent price. That engine came with magnesium case covers that are prone to corrode I think.

i would get one that atleast had disc brakes on the back....my cr500 was a 1990 and it pulled super hard but the 84-87 had the most powerful engine

The 86 motor was a little mellower than the 85. Biggest change was the cartridge forks. Center of gravity was a little lower than the 85 due to new tank. When I went from my 85 CR500 to my new 88 biggest difference I noticed was the rear disc brake. On a 500 you need all the brakes you can get. Riding a 500 fast requires using allot of rear brake, both for squaring corners and to help keep the bike straight under power. I used to drag it under acceleration to help modulate the power. The words "throttle control" take on a whole new meaning on a 500 2 stroke.