Sign in to follow this  

09 wr 300 v 09 KtM 300

Anyone done a ride comparison between these 300 two strokes .

I will be buying a new 300 2 stroke in the summer so I am after rider reviews...riders who have tried them both.

I hear the rear shock on the wr is not up to much and also does not have electric start like the Ktm.

Anyone done a ride comparison between these 300 two strokes .

I will be buying a new 300 2 stroke in the summer so I am after rider reviews...riders who have tried them both.

I hear the rear shock on the wr is not up to much and also does not have electric start like the Ktm.

The KTM costs $1000.00 more (MSRP). If you buy the WR 300 before 3-31-09, you'll save another $1K making the Husky come in at $2K less than the KTM. My WR usually starts in 2-3 kicks (many times just 1). $2K is a lot of money for E-start. :banghead:

Thanks for your reply , here in the UK there is only a £175 ($245) difference in list price, so price doesn't come into it here.

Ktm 300 exc list £5475 ( $7665)

Husgy wr 300 list £5300 ($7420)

i am keen on the wr as well

is it true they pull hard like a 250 mx bike? i hope so as i currently have a 06rm250 with a 8oz fww and pc pipe and shorty muffler and that is awesome but i would like a licensed bike..

what can i do?? it has to be 2 stroke

The 300 motor is the best thing about this bike!!!!! It will pull like an MXer or lug it all day it really doesn't matter. Quit pondering and just buy one!!!!

The shock is still better than the KTM!!!!

I have ridden both, and the shock is not better on the Husky and not the forks either. The Ktm had a rekluse so I did not need to try the restart button. A little more hit in the Husky motor, out of the box Ktm is a better bike.

The KTM should be a better bike, it is $1000 more here in North America.

Lots more aftermarket parts available for the KTM's too. But in the tight, snotty, crappy trails, rocks, roots and off-camber. the Husky is an easier bike to ride. Husky's don't need steering dampers, and turn way better than any KTM. Just My 2 cents.

Dont cut out the Gasgas EC300® or TM 300EN. Both are very top notch bikes with lots of power.

I think the Husky looks to be a very simple bike and for your price I would go with KTM or Gasgas because of the price simularity.

Here in North America the Husky could be made into a much better bike than the Gasgas and KTM stock because of the savings of money.

The KTM should be a better bike, it is $1000 more here in North America.

Lots more aftermarket parts available for the KTM's too. But in the tight, snotty, crappy trails, rocks, roots and off-camber. the Husky is an easier bike to ride. Husky's don't need steering dampers, and turn way better than any KTM. Just My 2 cents.

that and the husky is nothing more than thier 1980's 250 motor with a bigger piston, sorta like the 360 (I know I had one) I would take the KTM any day for a lot of reasons. lighter faster handle better WAY more aftermarket and dealer support, resale etc etc.. I'mnot saying the Husky is bad just not as good for me as the KTM, though for others the WR may be a better choice, and looks like the OP was asking about the bikes not the price.

Mike

I would take the KTM any day for a lot of reasons. lighter faster handle better WAY more aftermarket and dealer support, resale etc etc..

Mike

It's funny how people see things differently. I rode a friend's 09 KTM 300 weeks before I bought my WR 300. I bought the WR 300 mainly because in my mind there was no way in the Planet of Hell I (or anyone else) could justify spending $2000.00 more for the KTM. Having said that, I'm of the opinion that the Husky handles better in tight stuff than the KTM 300. I do love the KTM's E-starter (what old-fart, fat guy wouldn't??? :) ). But in the end, for me the choice boiled down to spending 2K less for a comparably performing bike (the Husky) and only having to give up E-start. Again, I'm old and fat and my best riding days were in the late 70's, but I simply cannot see or feel $2K difference between the Husky and the KTM. In fact, I'd have gone with the Husky if the $ difference was significantly under $1K.

that and the husky is nothing more than thier 1980's 250 motor with a bigger piston, sorta like the 360 (I know I had one) I would take the KTM any day for a lot of reasons. lighter faster handle better WAY more aftermarket and dealer support, resale etc etc.. I'mnot saying the Husky is bad just not as good for me as the KTM, though for others the WR may be a better choice, and looks like the OP was asking about the bikes not the price.

Mike

I've seen a couple of shootouts between these bikes now and not one says the KTM is faster - in fact they say it is a little slower. Not much in it really. An old motor but well proven. 2 strokes aren't changing a lot at the moment anyhow (maybe they will soon).

Any one that says a ktm will handle with a husky has never never ridden the husky ! I own ktm's and was a die hard ktm person until I rode the husky there is no comparison , and the susp.on the ktm while it seems plush at times is the most finicky set up you will ever ride, it gets weird for no reason at all and that's not an opinion that's a fact .The only thing I have found on the new husky susp.is it takes some brake in time and the txc forks need a mid valve adj, for most, but that's cheep ,and I always spring and re valve all my bikes to the type of riding ,and my weight,skill level . I do hope this helps I do like ktm's but would not pick them over the husky jmo...:)

As was said earlier, don't discount the Gas Gas and TM 300s. The handling and suspension package the TM delivers is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Believe me, it's that good. That said, the Husky, from all reports, is still a good bike and you'd probably be happy with it. I'm selling my KTM and buying a TM- 4 stroke 450 though, the 300 is too much of a good thing for me.:thumbsup:

I am currently riding a WR250 which I am considering punching out to a 300. Having ridden the KTM 300 and my WR250; I find them to be similar in power, however the 250 lacks that bottom end grunt that endeared me to the KTM. Here in the high country, bottom end is priceless. The Husky handles better than the big 4-strokes in the tight rocky single track or any KTM I've ridden save the 200.

So are both the Husky and the KTM 300's street legal?

-mt-

So are both the Husky and the KTM 300's street legal?

-mt-

Not in most states.

Not in most states.

Are either of them street legal in WA or OR or ID?

Thanks,

-mt-

Are either of them street legal in WA or OR or ID?

Thanks,

-mt-

In some states, not sure about WA/OR/ID, there are "ways" around the DMV issue of plating and registering a 2s street legal. I dont think this forum is the place to discuss it due to the legality of some of the ways, but a little work with google should answer your question and or ways to do it. (there were a couple of threads in k*MT**K about this issue. not sure if they are still there or not)

The only TRULY street legal dirt bikes in the PNW are the ones you can legally buy with a plate. And they're all 4 strokes.

Husky TE's and the street lagal KTM's are the only ones I know of off hand

None of the bikes are legal in Idaho without modifications. To make an off road titled bike legal in Idaho, you have to sign a piece of paper at the DMV stating that you have made the bike legal to operate on public roads (added horn, mirror, brake light, etc) and then they will issue an on road title. Once you get the on road title, you can register it and get your REAL plate. Mind you, if you get stopped and you are not street legal, plate or not, you will be in for a big hassle.