Sign in to follow this  

Clarke tank question before I blow up my bike

Hi folks,

I must ask for your patience in accommodating yet another Clarke gas tank thread. I have searched the forum and have seen several threads that describe a solution to the problem I'm facing, but, since I don't want to screw this up, I'm going to double-check with you folks before I connect anything. I guess I'm just more visually-oriented, but I have a hard time following the Clarke directions.

So I've installed the stock petcock on the Clarke and am ready to install the tank on my California model (with evaporative emission unit that was blocked off by the previous owner). Here's what I'm looking at:

drz_hoses.jpg

I am assuming that I need to connect 1 to A and 2 to B. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I see the pic and you are correct.

The big hose (number 1) is the fuel hose.

The smaller hose (number 2) is the vacuum hose (connected to the intake port via the carburetor to get a vacuum signal produced), and this hose opens the fuel petcock when the engine is running.

Excellent! Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry to be dense about this, folks, but I figure since we're talking about gasoline, I'd rather embarrass than burn myself.

Since I hadn't connected the vacuum hose to anything after installing it the first time, it only ran when fully choked. Guess I know why, now.

Others have remarked that the directions included with the Clarke tank are, shall we say, sparse. Illustrations would have helped me, personally.

Looks like I'll have to get a longer vacuum hose, now. Is this something I could pick up at the local Kragen/NAPA/Checker auto parts supply store?

Thanks again. This place rocks my socks.

Excellent! Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry to be dense about this, folks, but I figure since we're talking about gasoline, I'd rather embarrass than burn myself.

Since I hadn't connected the vacuum hose to anything after installing it the first time, it only ran when fully choked. Guess I know why, now.

Others have remarked that the directions included with the Clarke tank are, shall we say, sparse. Illustrations would have helped me, personally.

Looks like I'll have to get a longer vacuum hose, now. Is this something I could pick up at the local Kragen/NAPA/Checker auto parts supply store?

Thanks again. This place rocks my socks.

Yes you need to replace BOTH hoses. The vacuum hose is to short and the fuel line will have a slight kink in it which when you go from full throttle down the hose collapses and stalls. I found this out the hard way :)

drz%20fuel%20line%20004.JPG

Good luck and have fun:thumbsup:

Morgan! If you'd asked this question on BARF, we could have answered your question too.

I had the same problem after installing my Clarke tank. Except I could actually ride my bike from San Jose, where we did the install, and then my DRZ didn't conk out on me until, oh, I don't remember, maybe a few days later? Because the original line developed a very interesting kink right there at the petcock. Even got the very nice guy at the local auto parts store to install the longer vacuum line. (Yes, he's a pal!)

My fuel line didn't collapse. But since it's 4 years old now, I need to replace it. Thanks for reminding me, Debi!

^ Ha! Fancy meeting you here, Yvonne. Good to hear that others have had similar experiences. I'll be stopping by Kragen and getting some Krazy Straws for mah carb. :)

Ah, and ask a serious question on BARF? What an odd notion! Figured I'd have to bust my TT cherry sooner or later anyway.

Epilogue: bought some burly new hoses from Kragen, hooked 'em up, and away I went. Runs great. Thanks, TT!

Total newb notes for future Clarke tank installers:

-as others have remarked in other threads, definitely remove the stock extension thingy on the petcock. This is the aluminum bit that contacts the bottom of the tank when you fasten the petcock. Clarke includes a new gasket to replace the one between the extension and the petcock, but you don't need it or the extension. If you remove the extension, your hose routing is much easier.

-as others have also remarked, you'll need longer hoses. Bring your old hoses to an auto parts store and ask an employee to show you their spools of fuel/emissions hoses. Then match the inner diameter of the hoses and cut a greater length than you think you'll need. The vacuum hose in particular needs to be a lot longer. Also, get new hose clamps.

-drain the gas from your old tank the smart way: by connecting a long section of hose to the petcock and draining it directly into a gas can. Takes a while, but it's much safer. For some reason I thought it would be better to remove the stock tank and pour the fuel out of the top of the tank into a gas can. After soaking my pants in gasoline, I realized that it wasn't. :)

-lastly, don't confuse the vent hose with the vacuum hose. The vent hose connects to the screw-on gas cap, and the vacuum hose connects to the smaller nipple on the petcock.

Hi guys,

I just installed my Clarke tank and fired up the bike and it doesn't idle right or at all. I found through this thread that I don't have the vacuum hose connected to petcock. Do I take the hose I pulled off the carbon emitter from the carb and connect that to the pecock?

I'm a little fuzzy on this. Thanks!

Fixed my issue...found the vacuum hose and replaced with a longer one. Bike runs great now with the bigger tank, although it handles slightly heavier around the turns. I'll get used to it.