'09 rear link dimensions.

Can someone tell me what the hole center distance's is on a '09 Pro Circuit linkage arm for the 450. Stock is 134mm, so i assume it would be 135 or 136 mm.My dealer said no links avaliable over here (Australia) untill April\May. I will weld up holes and re-machine to correct longer distance. Cheers.

CroomRider - I assume that when a company like Pro circuit makes a product it is because they are not satisfied with the performance of the original or stock part. P.C's hole center dimension's obviously works better than stock. Maybee i should have used the word better, rather than correct. And i was asking for a specific dimension, not a question of who's right and who's wrong.

I think CR raised a good question for two reasons: 1) It's interesting to discuss. I mean there are a lot of other very good suspension experts who might have an opinion on it. 2) PC will make +sell products with specs different than stock because ultimately they want to sell that product. Be it an improvement or not, they just want to sell it. I'm not saying PC don't know their stuff and/or making any statement about the stock link. Just that PC is a business like any other business, and any consumer should be a little skeptical at times.

btw ryno, would a pair of those adjustable links in Ballard's catalog do the job on your KX? Last time I looked they were cheap. Could do it as an experiment, changing in increments. Just a thought.

2009 KX450F PC link is 135mm and like you said stock is 134mm. PC charges $224.95 for that 1mm difference. Would love to hear from people that have bought the PC link and have revalved their suspension comment about the performance.

MX action mag swears by the PC link on the KXF, but I wonder if you will see most of the benefits with stock suspension?

Numroe, the adjustable link in the Ballards catalouge is listed for crf only. I have tried several major mail order place in oz for a link, i get the same reply; "haven't got one, have to order it , don't know when we will have it. What was it you wanted again?" I used a longer link (1mm) on my '07 450 and it made all the difference in the world. If there is any company in the moto industry you don't have to be sceptical about, i believe it is P.C. But i see where your coming from.

Howorks, thanks for the info. I am having suspension re-valved Monday and will weld and re-machine link today and let you know after i have tested. I have read MXA reports on the link as well. The 1 mm difference lowered the rear of the bike 12-15mm on my 07, which was heaps when your only 5'6''. Mid cornering was improved also. Cheers

• 8 months later...
I will weld up holes and re-machine to correct longer distance.
Ryno, Any tricks or techniques to keep in mind when welding up the old holes in the link arms? I would have to take to a local welder. I assume remove seals and grease from the front end, Tig weld (?), then re-measure and drill. How time consuming? Thanks for any insight.

Numroe, Dont weld the link up. The heat that was needed to get a good weld annealed the aluminium. (made it soft as butter.) It went softer than 2000 series alu. It cracked first ride. I got Pro Circ. link to be safe. ryno281
Thanks Ryno. Great advice. The machined insert in the devol link looks interesting.
do you guys really want to lower the rear? with the side effect of reduce progression with a longer link :excuseme:
Can only speak for myself. At this stage I've no firm idea what I want to do. Just playing. Any comments welcome. Without going into details, I do believe my stock 06 link ratio is currently too progressive (soft early and firm late in the stroke) for my shock valving. So I bought a used 07 linkage ($40 and near new bearings). The rocker is slightly different (shock end bearing appears to be positioned 1.5mm more low and aft in the casting), and these "new" arms are 134mm, and my 06 parts are 133mm. Not what I expected! I'm not sure what this change will do. Hopefully test ride this Sat at a familiar location with nothing changed except the linkage. Part markings:

06: rocker = 0063 and 1. Arms have one drill mark.

07: rocker = 0073 and 2. Arms have three drill marks.

Before and after the linkage swap with spring removed I tried (as you did) to measure the ratio change but it was within 1mm all the way for shock len vs axle position. Then I set spring preloaded len the same and after reassembly the rider sag was within 1mm of my normal figure (100mm). So I suspect I have the same ratio and will feel no difference. But happy with the "new" bearings. Before posting in this thread I started thinking about adjusting the length of my old 06 links as an experiment. Many conflicting theories on what longer vs shorter will do. I certainly want LESS progression (more linear).

I have no intention to change the ride height and want all the suspension travel I can get. My bike works with rider sag = 100. Static sag measures at 30mm.

I certainly want LESS progression (more linear).

I have no intention to change the ride height and want all the suspension travel I can get.

thanks for the reply. I don't know the progression of a 06-08 KX450, I think mog says the 09 has only little compression compared to whatever.

I know some links are supposed to lower the rear, I dont know if they should achieve less progression as their main function.

but there are some threads about handling issues of the 09 KX450 (I also tried to get the front down and the rear higher), so I really wonder if such a lowering link is a good idea. I am just curios about that