Sign in to follow this  

I broke a stud on the clutch center while removing the locknut

I'm an idiot, I made a "tool" to hold the clutch center to remove the clutch locknut and broke off one of the five studs (not exactly a "stud") that the clutch spring bolts tighten into.

I'm screwed, I have a 10 day desert trip planned here in Libya coming up in 3 weeks. How stupid would it be to rely on the existing 4 bolts and "studs" to hold on the clutch plates. I can't imagine any fix for the exsiting clutch center.

Thanks, Steve

yeah, yeah.......I know, I told myself that same thing about 10 times. So........now, imagine that you had the opportunity to ride here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/steveegge/20082009

and http://egge.us/Motorcycle%20Libya.html

what would YOU do to fix YOUR clutch center so that you could ride it? :)

If it were me, I'd click the button on the top of this web page that looks like ttheader_06.gif and order a replacement

I already activated Plan A: ordered one from the UK, "should" be here in Tripoli in 2 weeks, but...........you know how it is. Working on a plan B: Drill out and tap what is left on the clutch center (which isn't much).

Fed Ex doesn't work overnight (or oversweeks) in the rest of the world despite what the commericals say!

Thanks, Steve

Yeah, I think we saw evidence of that in the movie "CastAway".

Good luck in getting your part in time.

Fed Ex doesn't work overnight (or oversweeks) in the rest of the world despite what the commericals say!

I saw that, but I'm still curious. Just like I'm curious who really killed Kennedy etc.

Raally? Wow! I'd sure like to time travel there and see for myself.