Sign in to follow this  

Top end troubles

I have a ticking noise coming from the top end, It has started since I changed the piston (and rings) and all 4 valves and springs. since dissasembly I have checked the valve clearances and they are in spec, the timing is right, the cam chain is tight and on the timing gear on the crank proplerly. the piston is facing the right way and not hitting the valves or head for that matter. I checked the intake shims for correct placement in the buckets and they were ok, there is no forgien materials in the head or bottom end, it is not blowing smoke either. I had a motorbike mechanic help me with the disasembly since the ticking started and he is also puzzled. The motor has ran off and on for about 10 minutes total since the noise started and shows no signs of damage. what have I missed? Any ideas? sorry for the long winded description but knowledge is power.

It's probably the decompression arm on the cam. They always make noise. Replace the little spring on it often. They're real cheap.

since dissasembly I have checked the valve clearances and they are in spec,
I checked the intake shims for correct placement in the buckets and they were ok,

Have you checked the exhaust shims as well? Ticking noise is characteristic of too much clearance of the exhaust valves.

I have checked the valve clearances and they are in spec,

This is the reason why I wasn't questioning the valve clearance. Let us know what you find...

I have also removed the decomp lever as I thought that may be the problem because of a old spring. the exhaust clearances are with in spec also. The problem continues.... I'm tempted to ride it i don't think it will sieze because there is plenty of oil circulating and the valves are within spec and new so they should be ok. The other part of me thinks if it goes boom it will hurt the wallet in a big way.

when you put it back together how to you tighten all the bolts on primary gear and the balace shaft if you used a screw driver and used it to jam the gears as you tighten it you cound have nicked a tooth and that would do it

I didn't change the cam chain as it was in good condition. good idea though.

did you use SS valves and did you use heavier springs? maybe you're hearing the valves closing harder than you are used to hearing. My 250 sounds the same way but it runs great. I just had the top end done with SS valves and heavy intake springs and it makes the same racket.

did you use SS valves and did you use heavier springs? maybe you're hearing the valves closing harder than you are used to hearing. My 250 sounds the same way but it runs great. I just had the top end done with SS valves and heavy intake springs and it makes the same racket.

+1 on this, once i got my valves replaced with ss valves, it's more noticable. you can hear them.

check the shim buckets for dents on top.we had this prob at the shop on a bike. good luck

I was sabotaged!!!, a friend got out his feeler gauges and it turns out that mine are stamped wrong. I called the maufacturer (Australian made and owned product) and they had heard of the issue and are sending me out a new jumbo set. anyway long story short there was WAY more clearance on the xhaust valves than there needed to be, hence the tick.

Thank you very much to people on this board with there advice and info.

there was WAY more clearance on the xhaust valves than there needed to be, hence the tick.

Thank you very much to people on this board with there advice and info.

I guess I was right :) .... I am not surprised a bit!!!!!!!!