Sign in to follow this  

DELO 400 Multigrade, Moly?

Hi all,

I have been reading here and on other forums about using DELO 400 in motorcycles, and am very interested in it.

After doing a bit of research, i can see how the older DELO 400 CI-4 oil would be great for bikes..... but it is the new CI-4 PLUS grading that confuses me.

From what i have researched, "Energy Conserving" Oil is a big no no as it may cause clutch slippage, fair enough.

But what confuses me is that the new DELO 400 Multigrade CI-4 PLUS has added molybdenum disulfide, from what i know molybdenum disulfide is in itself an energy conserver.

So why is DELO 400 mutligrade not labeled as "Energy Conserving"?, and is this oil still OK for bikes?

Can someone shed a bit of light on this for me?

Thanks

What's this stuff aimed at?

Is it some kind of car/truck/bus oil?

I've never heard of it that I can remember.

Why are you considering it?

I'd stick with proven brands you read about on this board.

A favorite is Silkolene 100% synthetic.

Last I knew, moly additives can indeed make your clutch slip.

What's this stuff aimed at?

Is it some kind of car/truck/bus oil?

I've never heard of it that I can remember.

Why are you considering it?

I'd stick with proven brands you read about on this board.

A favorite is Silkoleen 100% synthetic.

Last I knew, moly additives can indeed make your clutch slip.

It is a Universal Oil, commonly used for Diesels.

There is heaps of information on the internet about it's benefit's for motorcycles, some even from this forum.

There is allot to it, but basically it supposedly contains all the good stuff motorcycle specific oil contains, such as high zinc, high detergents and high shear resistance etc....... at a fraction of the price though.

But that is what is claimed for the older Multigrade Diesels oils...... the new ones now (well at least DELO 400) contain this moly. So I am not so confident in using it, but still rather curious..... as most people who use it in there bikes rave about it!

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

You know asking about which oil is OK and which is not is a very opinionated subject, right? :banghead:

Always has been as far as I've known.

My opinion:

Odds are, if you ask the question often enough, you'll find somebody using any kind of oil you care to ask about.

Pam cooking oil, anyone? :)

A lot of times, a key motivating factor is how much of it can be bought for a certain amount of money - the cheaper, the better.

Myself, I just took the advice of the respected members of the DR-Z400 forum.

Yeah i see where your coming from too YZEtc, there can be so much crap on the internet is seems almost anything is possible.

Thanks for your input. :)

If your interested here is a good link about oil motorcycle oil's, this is what got me looking into motorcycle oil alternatives from the beginning.

http://www.vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

I've read that, before. :)

Most guys on here feel that going more than 1,000 miles between oil changes is inviting big end (of the connecting rod) problems down the road, especially if your DR-Z400 is hopped-up to produce more power.

Even shorter intervals for off-road use - 500 miles.

I have spent many hours researching oils at BITOG. Of the 15W-40 CJ-4 diesel oils, only Rotella T does not have moly, while both Delvac 1300 and Delo 400 do. Other than the moly, the consensus is that all 3 are generally equivalent in their add packs (ZDDP, Ca), TBN, and shear resistance.

Moly may or may not make the clutch slip. For instance, Mobil 1 puts ~60 ppm moly in its 10W40 MX4T and 20W50 V-twin motorcycle specific oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1201651

If you want to run a 15W40 in your DRZ400E, Rotella T cannot be beat, IMO. It's cheap (~$11/gal), has a stout add pack, and readily available at Walmart. If you want to run a 20W50, Valvoline VR-1 is ~$4/qt and available at Advance Auto Parts. It too, has a stout add pack. In fact, all of my research to date has led me to conclude that the $10/qt synthetics are overkill for 1000 mile and/or 1 year changes on the DRZ.

http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaT(CJ-4).pdf

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3452&page=1&fpart=2

http://www.valvoline.com/products/VR-1%20Racing%20Motor%20Oil.pdf

I am currently running 15W40 Rotella T in my 2006 DRZ400E. I will be changing it at 1000 miles and sending a sample in for a used oil analysis (UOA). When I get the results, I will report back whether or not the oil was acceptable for 1000 miles of use.

PS, the lastest (2007) API spec is CJ-4. I'd be surprised if there's still much 15W40 Delo CI-4+ out there.

http://www.infineum.com/information/api_tables/API%20Engine%20Oil%20Classification%20Brochure%202008.pdf

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS29828820.PDF

The oil question has been settled! :)

The consensus on this DRZ forum has selected Silkolene's 15W-50 full ester sync as the only oil not to grenade your motor as long as you change it out every 1,000 miles, max.

Actually the CI-4 is all over the place. I buy Shell Rimula CI-4 for the truck fleet I work on. CJ-4 is the newer version designed for the new EGR systems on big trucks. I run the CI-4 in my bike and 10,000 miles later it still comes honey colored. Sure Silkolene would be better, but that doesn't mean the other oils aren't good enough. Especially since mine is free.

I run the CI-4 in my bike and 10,000 miles later it still comes honey colored.

I like when my oil comes out looking dark & dirty, lets me know its doing its job.

The oil question has been settled! :)

The consensus on this DRZ forum has selected Silkolene's 15W-50 full ester sync as the only oil not to grenade your motor as long as you change it out every 1,000 miles, max.

No disrespect . . . but from what I recall the recommendation to use Silkolene 15W50 was based solely on anecdotal evidence (opinion) and not the scientific method. Although far from complete, UOAs at least use "hard" data and not opinion.

For instance, I work in medicine and have previously worked in pharmaceutical research. We classify evidence and anecdotal evidence has the lowest level of support (level III) for decision making.

Level I: Evidence obtained from at least one properly designed randomized controlled trial.

Level II-1: Evidence obtained from well-designed controlled trials without randomization.

Level II-2: Evidence obtained from well-designed cohort or case-control analytic studies, preferably from more than one center or research group.

Level II-3: Evidence obtained from multiple time series with or without the intervention. Dramatic results in uncontrolled trials might also be regarded as this type of evidence.

Level III: Opinions of respected authorities, based on clinical experience, descriptive studies, or reports of expert committees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_medicine

The evidence comes from the real world, hands on experience of the Oracle of Colorado, SSW.

He's planning on making some cool looking sculptures out of junk DRZ cranks from those who refused to heed his recommendations.

Actually the CI-4 is all over the place. I buy Shell Rimula CI-4 for the truck fleet I work on. CJ-4 is the newer version designed for the new EGR systems on big trucks. I run the CI-4 in my bike and 10,000 miles later it still comes honey colored. Sure Silkolene would be better, but that doesn't mean the other oils aren't good enough. Especially since mine is free.

Hmmm . . . I guess there still must be a lot of it in the supply chain depending on where you live. Around here, I can't find 15W40 CI-4+ at any retailer now. I haven't checked distributors, though.

Silkolene may be absolutely better, but depending on the application (engine, environment, OCI, etc) it could also be overkill. I believe it is and that is why I'm doing testing to see if Rotella T 15W40 is adequate for 1000 mi and/or 1 year OCIs (whichever comes first).

FYI, I can tell you right now that the Silkolene's flash point (200 C) is nothing special, especially given that it's supposed to be a full group IV/V oil.

http://www.silkoleneusa.com/downloads_temp/6f3413e3-cc1a-4aa6-b710-acb9a5cfb07b_Imported_File.PDF

The evidence comes from the real world, hands on experience of the Oracle of Colorado, SSW.

He's planning on making some cool looking sculptures out of junk DRZ cranks from those who refused to heed his recommendations.

I'm not saying that level III evidence does not have any value; just that it offers the weakest form of proof for a hypothesis and should not be trusted over higher levels of evidence.

Just imagine if drugs were able to be approved based solely on level III evidence.

Drug company to FDA: "We gave this drug to a bunch of people and we believe it helped them because no one died and they said they felt better."

FDA response: "Sounds good to us, we'll approve it."

Thankfully, drugs are not approved like this and multiple randomized controlled clincial trials are required to demonstrate cause & effect, safety, etc. before approval takes place.

Pharmaceuticals make for a bad example...but I'll play.

If one in five people died after ingesting FDA approved type X pill would you still take it to save a few dollars?

You guys have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There is only one thing I use for my DRZ...

astroglide.jpg