Sign in to follow this  

My Brand New '09 DRZ not running real well

Hi All,

I've just bought a 09 model DRZ-400E and am a little dissapointed as t ohow it seems to be running at the moment. I haven't yet taken it off road, only used so far to commute to and from work.

When I first had a ride when picking it up from the bike shop I thought it should have had a bit more get up and go than it seems to. I put this down to the fact that I'm used to riding my 1000cc sports bike to and from work. The bike shop said that they would perform a de-restriction of the bike before I picked it up. Is there an easy way for me to tell if they've done that or not? As far as I understand it the de-restriction has something to do with the carby, not exactly sure though.

What I have noticed is that the engine seems to run roughly at lower throttle position. ie sitting on say 50km/h - 60km/h in traffic going to work. When keeping the throttle in the same position the engine will seem to surge. So it feel like you are accelerating then slowing down etc.

I'm going to take it back to the bike shop for them to have a look for me, but just wondering if anyone could have a guess as to what the likely problem might be.

Thanks.

Might be a blockage in the Pilot jet. I have just had to clean mine out. It had a spec of shit partially blocking the Pilot jet which was causing surging at lower RPM when cruising and bike wouldn't idle without a bit of throttle.

Glen.

To de-restrict my bike the dealer removed the air intake snorkel on top of the airbox, removed a baffle from the muffler, removed a throttle stop on the carby and opened up the hole in the rubber connecting boot between the carby and engine intake port.

Glen.

Surging is pretty normal with a new bike. I just bought a 2009 DRZ400sm last week and it surges as well, not too bad though. Most bikes come from the factory a little on the lean side, which is the usually the cause. I would think de-restricting the bike would make it run even leaner. Perhaps you will need to go to a larger pilot jet or turn out the the air/fuel mixture screw a bit to rectify the issue.

09 model DRZ-400E ---- you have one of the newer "E"s ... so it is a deetoned E ... so you mite as well just call it a "S"

so wile your reading just remember that you bike is the same as a "S" and to get more power you need to do the same modds to it

It's an Austalian E, not the same as the late US E model. Your dealer can deristrict it for you no problem.

Iowa , we aussies are lucky to have a full E spec E model that is road registerable . Standard they have restrictors which enable it to pass our ADR laws , but it is a full E , even if they have an S sub frame and lugs for a chain guard . All part of the rego thing , greg

Hi All,

I've just bought a 09 model DRZ-400E and am a little dissapointed as t ohow it seems to be running at the moment. I haven't yet taken it off road, only used so far to commute to and from work.

When I first had a ride when picking it up from the bike shop I thought it should have had a bit more get up and go than it seems to. I put this down to the fact that I'm used to riding my 1000cc sports bike to and from work. The bike shop said that they would perform a de-restriction of the bike before I picked it up. Is there an easy way for me to tell if they've done that or not? As far as I understand it the de-restriction has something to do with the carby, not exactly sure though.

What I have noticed is that the engine seems to run roughly at lower throttle position. ie sitting on say 50km/h - 60km/h in traffic going to work. When keeping the throttle in the same position the engine will seem to surge. So it feel like you are accelerating then slowing down etc.

I'm going to take it back to the bike shop for them to have a look for me, but just wondering if anyone could have a guess as to what the likely problem might be.

Thanks.

Dudds , they probably derestricted it and didnt rejet it , get a JD kit and rejet it and you will find it will run like a dream , greg

If they did open up the airbox without rejet then you could cover over some of the hole(could use tape) until you rejet.

Jbw

Hey Dudds,

I just received my new 2009 E last week, and so far I have the same opinion as you. I updated from my 2007 E which I know was derestricted but I am not so sure about my new one as it still had the snorkel in the air box. I hope to get a System3 Dep pipe and JD Kit next week, I will let you know if that brings it up to scratch. It's very hard to judge when you are running them in though.

I've got the same thing, but I've only run it in the garage and it won't idle very well. Working the choke and throttle adjuster, it's never steady. Also meant to be de-restricted but haven't pulled the carby out yet. Took the end of the exhaust out and other than the bit welded on the end piece, there's nothing else. Nozzle is still in the airbox though.

You guys telling me that part of the de-restricting process needs to be changing the jet?

I guess that depends on how much de-restricting is being done. But generally, the more air you let in the more gas you need to add.

You guys telling me that part of the de-restricting process needs to be changing the jet?

If you remove the snorkel on top of the airbox, you have to rejet accordingly or you're going to run too lean.

I've got the same thing, but I've only run it in the garage and it won't idle very well. Working the choke and throttle adjuster, it's never steady. Also meant to be de-restricted but haven't pulled the carby out yet. Took the end of the exhaust out and other than the bit welded on the end piece, there's nothing else. Nozzle is still in the airbox though.

Derestricting on your bike is removing the restrictor from the intake manifold , the snorkel from the airbox and the endcap in the exhaust , then rejetting accordingly , so I think someone has lied too you . A JD kit will do wonders for your bike after all these things are done , greg

My 2007 Aussie 'E' come with a 165 main jet with is plenty rich enough to run an open exhaust. It always had a flat spot just off idle mainl when cold. When I put the JD jet kit in(blue needle) this got rid of the off idle flat spot and gave the bike more pull down lower in the rev range.

Glen.

Any way of knowing if the restrictor has been removed without pulling the carby out? Sounds like a major pain to do that. The snorkel is still there, I've pulled the exhaust cap off which has something welded on but the pipe is empty. Makes a lot of noise without the cap.

my 09 sm was jetted very lean from suzuki. not sure if the e model comes equipped similarly.

installed JD jet kit (thumpertalk store ftw) along with 3x3 and it fixed the low rpm surging. also has a bit more power. im a noob so to me it felt like learning how to ride all over. :)

Just took is for a quick test ride and it's bloody gutless. 5th gear at full throttle at it peaked at 65kph. Than I blibbed the throttle a bit and it rode to 75 but took it's time.

Have to ring the dealer up and ask why he's screwing me I think. I know what the restrictor looks like from the Trailbike adventure mag project bike (DR Zilla) but not fixed on the manifold. I can see a clamp screw but not sure if this is for the manifold itself. I'm new to this bike and carbies so pardon my ignorance.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. I'm loving the DRZ and I'm sure that

I can get the initial kinks ironed out.