Sign in to follow this  

xr200 vs. atc200 engine

hello guys i hope this hasnt been covered a 100 times and if it has im sorry...

im looking to get more power out of my 3 wheeler engine.

from what i understand the xr200 and the atc200 were nearly the same motor... im hoping someone can answer some questions i have about swapping out the cam and carb on order to make the atc engine really go...

what can anyone tell me about this?

the atc has a 27mm carb and i see all kinds of 30mm carbs on ebay that supposedly work, what should i know about swapping them out?

does the xr have bigger valves than the atc?

do they have different head clearances?

will the atc electronics still work with the xr cam?

will a 91 xr200 head fit on a 83 atc200 cylinder?

anyone else think of something i might be over looking?

basiclly i want to get every ounce of hp out of the atc with out breaking the bank too bad... thanks

I don't think you're gonna find a whole lot of info here.

Your best bet is probably to sell it in parts and use that money to buy an XR which is going to be much lighter, and even if the power output is the same, it will feel like lot more power. Esp. since there will be less rotating mass of one skinny tire vs two fat ones on the end of the drive train.

I would think it would be cheap to mix and match those old vintage parts especially since so many of the 200 motors appeared everywhere. Get ahold of a whole XR200R motor and drop that in your ATC but I've no idea if it works. Why not just get an 200X instead? Either that or round up an old XR200 as previously noted. Your ATC200 (M or S model) is a ranch machine IMO. Hard to make it sporty and zippy due to the weight.

You need to go here http://www.3wheelerworld.com/index.shtml

That is the largest site for three wheelers and people there are real enthusiast. There are specs, manuals and how too's on a whole variety of three wheelers.

The atc200 you have is made for low end power to overcome the increased rolling resistance of those large tires and the wieght of the atc. A XR200 engine or cam/parts would probally run like a dog. The ATC200X cam may be what your looking for, also there are a couple places that have regrinds for your atc200s/m?

If you want power, I'd suggest getting a trike with front/rear suspension. Power is nothing without control, and a atc200 with rigid frame and drum brakes is very hard to control at high speed(high speed for a 200).

I know many of the parts will swap back-and-forth. My friend used a 200x head on his XR200 motor because of the larger cooling fins. He also used a Mega-Cycle XR200 cam so the cam length & bearing dimensions must be the same.

thanks guys i thought i had replied before but apparently the post button did not work to well for me... i found the 3 wheeler world site after i posted this so now i kind of have my answer... the part that i failed to mention about this engine is that it isnt in a 3 wheeler at all... its actually calls a craftsman lawnmower home... you can check it out one youtube but searching "55mph lawnmower".... thanks guys

I have to admit, that's probably one of the safest uses for a ATC engine.

Since it was geared and built to power a squirrelly bloated boat of a machine, it was probably a good choice or a lawn mower power plant.

• Like 1

yeah it would be nice to find a more powerful engine period, as long as it bolts into the stock engine mounts (which have been welded to the lawnmower chassis)... the problem with that is its hard to find even a 3 wheeler that has a good motor but shot everything else... this particular one ran when we got it for free, but the rest of the machine was JUNK! if i found another junk buggy with a good engine that would be like lighting striking twice! usually the engine is the part that goes first around here it seems...

did i mention there is also a "sister" lawnmower with a yz250 engine in it... its liquid cooled(i dont know if they all were, i doubt it)... that thing is violent!... we had to put the biggest flywheel weight we could buy on it so it was even close to being ridable.... it smoked the competition in the drags at our local festival... its also on youtube... search "horsethief days lawnmower drags" or better yet "aczacherl" for that one!