Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke.... I'M HOOKED!

my son just came off a crf 70 to a kx65. man, that thing is a blast!!! i was going to get a used crf250, but now, i've decided to get dad (me) a cr125.

i'm buying used and plan on looking at a few craigslist used bikes this weekend.

what in particular should i look for or listen for...? i'm looking at a 2003 and a 2006... is '03 too old of a bike to consider? is $1800 t0 $2200 a reasonable price range for a bike in good condition??

thanks for the help!

my son just came off a crf 70 to a kx65. man, that thing is a blast!!! i was going to get a used crf250, but now, i've decided to get dad (me) a cr125.

i'm buying used and plan on looking at a few craigslist used bikes this weekend.

what in particular should i look for or listen for...? i'm looking at a 2003 and a 2006... is '03 too old of a bike to consider? is $1800 t0 $2200 a reasonable price range for a bike in good condition??

thanks for the help!

Welcome to the 2Ters!! Once you enter the realm of the 2 stroke you will never be disappointed (until you hop on a 4 stoke :banghead: ). Check for leaks around the ehaust and crank. Also, squeeze the spokes on the back rim to make sure that they are tight. For a couple of years Honda's rims were really soft, I just had to buy a new one a few weeks ago because I couldn't tighten the spokes anymore and they had cracked my rim. But that's not a reason to not buy the bike it's just a negotiation tool, and something to watch out for in the future. '03 for $1800 sounds like a good price if you can find one. Anyway hoped that helped. Good Luck!:)

You could get a nice 2 stroke for $2500 and the good thing about a smoker you can buy them used and if it tears up it is inexpensive to fix it maybe $150 for a top end you can't go wrong if you are wanting a 125 you might want to look for a ktm 200 I hear they are a great bike and any 125 is a good bike can't go wrong with any of them bascically just pick a color and you will like it.:):banghead:

If you are over 160 lbs, then why not just get a 250? You will want more power once you get used to the 125. Especially if you are going to do any kind of forest/trail riding.

thank you so much for the input. i will 'negotiate' the spokes and needed top end. i will also do the cab mod for better throttle response.

there are several cr125's for sale in my area so i should find one soon.

i have recently ridden my friends crf250. the ONLY thing i did not like about it was the weight and e-start. and the headlight. and the fear of exploding the motor.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

Not sure if you know these already, but also ask these questions (I wish I would have asked them :banghead:)

What ratio do you mix your gas at

Have you ever ridden in sand

When/who did a top end

-Check the steering head bearings, and the swingarm bearings. (for the swingarm, put the bike on a stand and if you pick up the back tire (while off the ground) and it has slop, knock off some of the price.

Check the rims

Check the bearings (if there is any slop)

Ask him if its ever been jetted differently

What premix

What octane gas has been run

Thats all i can think of :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Go for the 06, in 05 the cr125 got way faster due to lots of motor improvements.

If you are over 160 lbs, then why not just get a 250? You will want more power once you get used to the 125. Especially if you are going to do any kind of forest/trail riding.

Unless you have some particular reason to buy a 125, like class racing I think the above is good advice. 125's have very little low end torque, and because you have to piss wind 'em to get it done, top ends are far more frequent.

If a 250 2T seems like too much a 200 might be worth considering, far better play/woods bikes than a 125 MX'r.

A CR125 is good, but if you want more power than get a 250 cause the 250 will be like the 125 only the power of the 250 will be as powerful as the peak power of the 125 when the 250 is just at the beggining of the throttle.

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and say get a 125 first. I got hurt bad on a 250 years ago and now have a 125. It's alot more fun for me because I'm not as scared riding it. Plenty of punch for me, just runs out of steam quick.

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and say get a 125 first. I got hurt bad on a 250 years ago and now have a 125. It's alot more fun for me because I'm not as scared riding it. Plenty of punch for me, just runs out of steam quick.

A pre-05 CR125 is a learner bike IMO. Great suspension and handling but the motor (even when tuned) may run out of steam for you once your skills advance forward. If you're not a throttle addict then it could even be a keeper. Otherwise the YZ125 comes in with a more versatile package that includes more and broader power delivery with a hint of low end power and torque (for a 125). Once the 06 YZ came out with the great suspension, it became a tough one to beat.:)

To ride a 125 fast takes skill. I'm a fatass who weighs 250#. I rode a 02 YZ125 and was very impressed with the power. If one could keep the right hand heavy and let the clutch modulate the acceleration, fun times ahead!

I'll second the above statement that a 125 is better suited to learn since a whiskey throttle moment likely won't injure you on a 125 vs. a 250. Don't overlook these 125s though. A well tuned 125 will be putting out 35HP; enough to put any four stroke trail bike (non-competition type) to shame.

I agree with craig3x, if you've got a little extra cash you might as well step it up a notch... I don't have any experience on 125's but I've heard you really have to keep them high to get anything out of them power wise. my 250 is pretty sweet all around

I agree with craig3x, if you've got a little extra cash you might as well step it up a notch... I don't have any experience on 125's but I've heard you really have to keep them high to get anything out of them power wise. my 250 is pretty sweet all around

Yep, i rode my friends kx 125 after i'd been riding my cr250r and it was slow until it hit the powerband. It was fine as long as you could stay in it but once you're out of the powerband it's slow. A 250 is pretty steady through the whole range of RPMs and all gears. He's been riding his for about 6 months and he's already tired of the lack of power and ready to move up to a 250.

i was going to get a used crf250, but now, i've decided to get dad (me) a cr125.

I'd buy a CRF250 before I'd buy a 125. Why not look for a CR250?

bot a 2003 cr125 with new top end, renthal bars, new pipe and fmf silencer. new tires... immaculate condition and it rips and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the help and advice. paid $2000.