Sign in to follow this  

When pressing starter button 10amp fuse blows?

Hello,

I did a search and found this problem happens with these bikes (07WR250) as well as older years.

But there where no solutions posted.

It is intermittent, and the old owner had the problem fixed at the dealership and they said the zeinor diode was open, and they fixed some pinched wires at the CDI unit, but I found no evidence of repairs being done at the CDI wiring harness.

I was able to isolate it to one of the larger connectors on the CDI unit (when I disconect that plug of the CDI unit, the fuse does not blow, but at the same time, the starter does not engage either)

Looking at the wiring diagram, that starter circuit is a BEAST!

Has anyone else ran into this, and what was the fix?

RR

There is definitely a short somewhere. The dealership sounds like that didn't do anything since if a zener diode was open all that would happen is there would be no voltage regulation at that specific point in the circuit. Now if it was shorted that would be a different story.

If someone could post up a wire diagram of the WR starting circuit and I can try to point you in the right direction for testing.

There is nothing in the system that can fail and cause the fuse to go other than a short in a wire. Being the fuse blows when you press the magic button, the short must be between the button and the starter solenoid. Most sorts occur due to a pinched wire and the most logical point would be in the harness at the steering stem. Follow the wiring diagram from the bar button to the solenoid. The wires go from the button to the interlock relay to the solenoid. You should be able to fairly easily see a wire issue.