Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad ? about racing in GNCC's

My husband and I are thinking about doing a few GNCC's this year and were wondering if someone can give us a bit of insight as to what to expect with sign up. Can you sign up Saturday and Sunday? How long does it take? Should we expect long lines? Any info is greatly appreciated.

if you are already an AMA competition card holder, that makes the line shorter right there.

it should not be that bad since the season has already started.

i've stood in line for 2 hours in freezing weather and the next year at the same race been done in 5 minutes. just depends. budget an hour or so and if you dont use it. relax.

you also have to take your bike through tech inspection. and the sound test is usually a joke, but required.

yep, it should pass.

just to make sure all the brakes work and your levers are ok (supposed to have the ball on the end).

technically they are supposed to check if the gas cap has a overflow check valve, but idk if they do. stock yammies have it. not all colors do.

tech takes all of 2min if there is no line. have your helmet on and goggles on going and coming. that keeps the harassment at zero.

I neither experienced nor saw any sound checks being done at any of last year's GNCC races. If they did, few of the XC1 bikes would pass. And I only missed being at 2...Steele Creek and Big Buck. About the only thing that's done at tech is to verify that your transponder is working properly.

You can register for the Sunday bike races after completion of Saturday's afternoon atv race. Registration is usually open until 7:00pm on Saturday, then opens again very early (app. 6am) on Sunday.

Thank you all for the info. I'm pretty nervous about racing at such a big event. We are driving from Oklahoma and leaving friday night for Morganton, NC.

Jeff,

I think I might have met you before. Did you ride the Trans-Am trail a few years ago and ride with a man and woman in Colorado over a pass from Pitkin to Tin Cup in the sleet?

Jeff,

I think I might have met you before. Did you ride the Trans-Am trail a few years ago and ride with a man and woman in Colorado over a pass from Pitkin to Tin Cup in the sleet?

Ya, that was me! Small world! :banghead:

Steele Creek is a great track with big hills and some sand along the creek. Stop by the Tire Balls van on vendor row and say hi. :)

Steele Creek is going to be awesome this year ( last year was mud mud mud). Allow yourself alot of time to get thru registration. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes, others it takes and hour. Tech inspection consists of checking to make sure you have a muffler and that your transponder works. Its a closed course event so there is no sound checks (yet). Have a good time .

Hey Jeff, I was gonna come by and say Hi, but we were parked over by the bridge/mud hole and was hacing to run back and forth when my husband's chain broke, so I was not wanting to walk all the way back down to the pit area. Oh, and I would have rode my bike down there but he had to take the rear wheel off my bike because he bent the rotor. I had an okay race. I ended up 5th in the women's class. I had my suspension set-up way too stiff the first few laps but got it softened and it felt much better. On the second to last lap I came around a corner and there were a ton of people sitting around with there helmets off. There was a huge pile-up at the top of the hill and it took me 2 tries to get up. There were people and bikes everywhere and they just kept coming. I lost a lot of time there and missed the last lap. Oh well, no one was hurt and we made it home safe and sound.

Okay, that track was really rough. What's it like at the next one? Will it be as rough?

That's cool, I know how crazy it gets at the races. 5th is great! there are a lot of fast women!!!

NC is one of the roughest tracks of the season. SC is way smoother and more conventional than NC for sure. Loretta's is a lot of fun too but it is pretty rocky which should be good for you guys since you ride in CO.