Sign in to follow this  

Galfer SS lines are short!

Guess I should've done a search on this before I ordered, but I was under the impression that Galfer was the name to go for in brakes.

Put Galfer SS lines on my S yesterday and they are really short. They'll reach, but I had to slightly reroute the front and there's no way a taller bar would work.

Would getting an oversized rotor, say the 270mm kit from the TT store give me a little more slack in the line or would it make it even tighter?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, Eddie, but do you mean it's the wrong Galfer line or Galfer was the wrong line to buy (it's actually listed as an MSR line, but it's stamped "Galfer" all over it)?

I went back and looked at my order and this is what was stated in the TT store:

MFR Part #: FK003D291

SUZ DRZ400S 00-08

THIS DOES NOT FIT SM OR E/DIRT MODELS

If you would like to order for a Galfer FK003D539 front line for a DRZ400SM, it is a special order item direct from Galfer. Please call us to order.

So, unless the store messed up, it should be the right line...right??? :)

My front Galfer line was the exact same length as the stocker. With the larger 320mm rotor and relocation bracket it really needs to be a couple inches longer.

Well, I just went out to the garage to measure the lines and the new Galfer line is a full 5" shorter than the old stock line (I measured twice). :banghead:

I also grabbed the packaging and packing list from the order. The package the new line came in has MFR# FK003D291 F and TR / TT store # 198714 which matches up with the packing slip.

So, as far as the paperwork is concerned, this is the correct line, but going by measurement, there's no freaking way... :)

I already installed the line...I wonder if there's any way I could still get a replacement or refund from TT...cause this really doesn't seem to be the correct item...

my galfer line was a little short for my s model also but i made it work after i removed the tape from the plastic protector and slid it further down the line . i found galfers part #'s are mixed up when comparing the front line for a drz-s and klx-sr :)

Crap... Well, I just wrote an email to the TT store explaining the situation and asking if there was any way to get a replacement. We'll see what happens...

Thanks, everyone...

Crap... Well, I just wrote an email to the TT store explaining the situation and asking if there was any way to get a replacement. We'll see what happens...

Thanks, everyone...

If it helps you at all, this is what mine ended up looking like when it was setup...notice that the protective rubber for the bottom mount did not fit the lower bracket so I had to wrap tape around the cable to make it work...I may change this with a reroute of the cable but if I move it down the plastic sleeve on the top does not fit the wear loop on the top. I will revisit this later. I can't remember what part number I ordered but the guy new exactly what I needed when I told him I had the 320MM and bracket relocator. I would call Galfer and talk to them directly. I am running the 320MM Drive Systems USA rotor kit from mototraction.com $199 and they are very nice.

Picture046.jpg

Guess I should've done a search on this before I ordered, but I was under the impression that Galfer was the name to go for in brakes.

Put Galfer SS lines on my S yesterday and they are really short. They'll reach, but I had to slightly reroute the front and there's no way a taller bar would work.

Thanks.

I had the same problem. After a thread here and talking with TT Store, it sounded like I did indeed have the right line. Just a bit too short.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689151&highlight=

Galfer has great customer service, so I would just call Galfer directly. I had an issue with some Galfer lines that were sent to me for my DR, wrong banjo for the rear master cylinder. I called Galfer and they asked me to email them pics of the stock banjo. They replaced them for me without any trouble.

TT store is dealing with it for now. They don't think my chances are good bc I already installed the line. If they don't get anywhere with Galfer, I might try them myself...

Just an update...

TT store was awesome. They got me a contact at Galfer and said he'd take care of me, and he really did. It might've taken a little while to sort everything out, but I just got my new (correct) line yesterday. :banghead:

Kudos to TT and Galfer for taking care of their customers! :banghead:

Care to give out that contact? My line is too short as well... PM if you want.

You would think TT would do someting about getting the correct part in stock since all you gusy are having the same problems with the line being too short.

Glad you bumped this up because i was just about to order a set of SS lines!

I have never run into this problem myself. I ALWAYS use Earls lines that are made to order. I take off whatever lines I want replaced, take them to the place, they ask what style banjo fittings/line I want, then they make them for you on the spot, matching up everything. I paid around $80 for the front and rear line. Anodized fittings with black coated line. I have used Earls on at least 5 different bikes, my friend uses them on his, and we have never once had any problems with them.

Earls = quality and no mistakes

Picture046.jpg

where'd you get those lower fork guards? or are they decals? either way whereee???!?!!?!!

Funny you mention your galfers were short. On my CRF rear galfer was too long and rested on the pipe! Maybe because its an SM and is lowered? I called galfer and explained and they sent me a replacement for free! Same length.:banghead:

Care to give out that contact? My line is too short as well... PM if you want.

I think the real use of the contact was that someone at the TT store already talked to them about my problem. I ended up speaking to a couple of people at Galfer throughout the process and they were all great. Just contact their customer support.

You would think TT would do someting about getting the correct part in stock since all you gusy are having the same problems with the line being too short.

Glad you bumped this up because i was just about to order a set of SS lines!

It's not TT's fault. The lines are listed as MSR (I think), but are actually Galfer. I think there's a batch of mislabled ones that came through the re-distributor.

I will tell you though, the new line still is not as long as my stock line, but I knew that from the beginning. At least this one is only an inch shorter and not 5... :banghead:

It's not TT's fault. The lines are listed as MSR (I think), but are actually Galfer. I think there's a batch of mislabled ones that came through the re-distributor.

I will tell you though, the new line still is not as long as my stock line, but I knew that from the beginning. At least this one is only an inch shorter and not 5... :banghead:

Never said that it was their fault but i would think that they would want to return all the "bad" stock that they have so when someone orders the msr line they will be receiving one that actually fist their bike. To me that would be good business practice.