Sign in to follow this  

Black Plastics

I've been doing some reading.....XR's only for rear fender and radiator shrouds and front fender, ebay for sides, but will a UFO Universal front fender work and fit well?? need some feedback please thanks

any other suggestions??

The UFO universal fender (or a black CRF fender, etc...) all have a slight fitment issue. The relationship between the fender and the down tube on the XR650R is different than any other Honda, so non-specific 650 fenders need to be either A: shimmed in the rear mounts to tip the back down (which also raises the front) B: cut off to clear the down tube, or C: have the holes redrilled to move the entire fender forward slightly.

The other issue is that a fender designed to work with USD forks can trash your fork boots in short order if it is not lined up perfectly. See the hole drilling above. Depending on the offset of the forks that the fender you are using came from (not sure what the universal fender is meant to work with) you can trash the boots very quickly. I learned this the hard way with the first non-XR650R fender I put on.

FYI, if you go with the black plastic be aware that it will not look good for long. It may not even look good when you take it out of the package to put it on. If you do a search on the forum you will find more than one complaint about the looks of the black plastic on the 650R.

More work than I will ever do again...

1 coat Bulldog adhesive binder for plastic (bumpers), 2-3 coats auto primer, 2 coats of Duplicolor enamel, and at least 3 coats of Rustolem. All coats were wet-sanded or sanded and let cure for a couple of days.

2000_XR650L_2-1.jpg

looks good saddlesoar....how long did the paintjob keep...thats the only thing that i am concerned with when it comes to painting, maybe i'll try if for now, and when it wears off, i'll figure something else out

if you just want black plastics.... Fusion paint works great.

-dave

Plus 1

It doesn't run or flake off real easily either.

I think that the Bulldog is the key. Its the same stuff that auto guys use to do bumpers and plastic parts. If I had it to do all over—I wouldn’t, but I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist. I would give it all to my auto buddy guy and let him do it, no matter the cost. If I had to estimate all the times I had to sand and wet sand and the times the pieces fell off of where they were drying and redoing, I would say 40-60 hours with sanding and coating maybe more if you ask my wife and kids...