Sign in to follow this  

Belfair - 3/14

Anyone riding Belfair on Saturday? I know the weather's supposed to be crappy, but want to get in 40 miles or so to prep for the Sparkplug. Should be at the Elfendahl staging area around 10am.

Wow, you really plan ahead! :)

What, you need more than 24 hours notice? :banghead:

Just figured I'd see if anyone else was already planning on being out there.

i was planning to, but after the last mudfest i went thru, i decided to just hit the gym instead and enjoy some dry clothing :)

Yup, definitely wet and only managed to get in 30 miles before the hands went numb. The place was pretty full considering the weather.

Came across some people clearing trail. Not sure if it was for the Sparkplug or not.

Yup, definitely wet and only managed to get in 30 miles before the hands went numb. The place was pretty full considering the weather.

Came across some people clearing trail. Not sure if it was for the Sparkplug or not.

were they actually "clearing" new trail, or were they just the maintenance crew with bobcat we saw out there on thursday? they were grading part of tahuya river trail.

Joe

Hi, Joe!!

We also saw guys brushing & clearing some single track in an area I'm not certain a Bobcat could go. One of the guys looked like Dustin Rosas, of the Bremerton Cruisers' M/C, so I yelled "Hi Dusty!" as rode by. I thought he yelled "hello" back to me, but with my sinus infection I have, I seem to be about half deaf...... :)

We only got about 22 miles or so, & I kinda twisted the groups' arm to go somewhere warm & dry, like the cab of a pickup....

Jimmie

were they actually "clearing" new trail, or were they just the maintenance crew with bobcat we saw out there on thursday? they were grading part of tahuya river trail.

Joe

Neither really. They were on the un-mapped single track and were cutting back shrubs and tree-branches. No bobcat or equipment, just 4 people with hand tools. They were in riding gear, but we didn't notice their bikes around. I was kind of disappointed to see it happening as I think it's going to make those trails more appearant which means they'll see more traffic.

Yep, we were out again brushing the trails, now we'll be out clearing trails again from the wind and snow gettting ready for the Sparkplug in two weeks. Thanks to all with positive comments as you went by, we always appreciate it.

The DNR trail crew has moved from Mission Creek Trail to Tahuya River trail doing maintanance and storm damage repair from last year's storm. They will almost always focus their efforts on the two track trails while most of us motorcycle user groups focus on the single track. It's a good system to insure the single track stays the way us users want.

Believe me, we understand the statement about brushing and making trails more visable, but no one wants to ride 75 to 90 miles of trail in an event and getting hit with face slappers most of the way. And once you're in there doing brushing, you need to get the most for your time by cutting back enough to make it last for 3 to 5 years. There's just too much trail out there to do it any other way. Kind of like getting your money's worth on a haircut, cut a bunch off so you don't have to get it done again next month!

• Like 1

Yep, we were out again brushing the trails, now we'll be out clearing trails again from the wind and snow gettting ready for the Sparkplug in two weeks. Thanks to all with positive comments as you went by, we always appreciate it.

The DNR trail crew has moved from Mission Creek Trail to Tahuya River trail doing maintanance and storm damage repair from last year's storm. They will almost always focus their efforts on the two track trails while most of us motorcycle user groups focus on the single track. It's a good system to insure the single track stays the way us users want.

Believe me, we understand the statement about brushing and making trails more visable, but no one wants to ride 75 to 90 miles of trail in an event and getting hit with face slappers most of the way. And once you're in there doing brushing, you need to get the most for your time by cutting back enough to make it last for 3 to 5 years. There's just too much trail out there to do it any other way. Kind of like getting your money's worth on a haircut, cut a bunch off so you don't have to get it done again next month!

VERY cool, and thanks for the hard work you guys put in!:) i thought i saw some sections of the singletrack out towards twin lakes that had cuttings on the ground. are there any NEW singletrack sections for the "plug"?

Joe

Thanks for your time and hard work. I had a feeling the people we saw might have been associated with the Sparkplug, and that's great. I was just slightly concerned they weren't with any organized group. :)

many thanx for putting the time in on the trails.good gas to all.

are there any NEW singletrack sections for the "plug"?

Well, we can't build much new stuff other then reroutes or re-establish after logging, but we do try to treat you guys every time to something you maybe haven't seen before or haven't seen in a while. We were able to reclaim an old section that I think will have you grinning and saying "damn, that's fun!".

Have fun, ride safe and good luck!

This is what it looked like yesterday morning.. I'm sure it's mostly gone by now, but it was intense for a while

492793200_khcyS-L.jpg

It was way tense riding we left from the E staging area bout 10am and when we got back around 1pm it was melting away but we had fresh trax all mornin. Was a pain in the a$$ in the tighter trails but we bucked up and had som Fun.