Sign in to follow this  

04 yz250f popping and stalling

Alright guys, i got an 04 yz250f with a 290 cylinder that i cant seem to get running right. I took this thing on trade all done up but had an electrical problem which turned out to be teh coil. So im not really sure how it ran beforehand. The problem is it runs great when i first start it and continues to do so for about ten minutes or so. After that it starts popping and backfiring and eventually stalls. If you pull the choke it seems to help sometimes but not always. It always fires right back up after it stalls though, and it seems to start up pretty easy cold. Easy as in like four or five kicks. Any suggestions would be great as i would actually like to ride this thing. Thanks.

Take this for what its worth...especially coming from the guy who has been away from the scene for about a decade - but before I hung it up I had a bike that did about the same thing. Start it up with the choke open, let 'er warm up, pop the choke back in and the sputtering and stalling started.

I know it sounds elementary, but the gas I put it had taken on some water from an earlier rainstorm. I guess the cap(s) on the cans werent on. Drained it out, new fuel filter (just to be safe) and a little gas drier fixed me right up.

Alright guys, i got an 04 yz250f with a 290 cylinder that i cant seem to get running right. I took this thing on trade all done up but had an electrical problem which turned out to be teh coil. So im not really sure how it ran beforehand. The problem is it runs great when i first start it and continues to do so for about ten minutes or so. After that it starts popping and backfiring and eventually stalls. If you pull the choke it seems to help sometimes but not always. It always fires right back up after it stalls though, and it seems to start up pretty easy cold. Easy as in like four or five kicks. Any suggestions would be great as i would actually like to ride this thing. Thanks.

Something simple to check is the vent and vent hose on your gas cap. Since it seems to run good for a short time then want to die, but starts right back up would tell me that the tank is not venting properly. Take the cap off tank and blow through the vent hose to make sure it is working. Seen this many times.

Make sure you have good fuel and enough octane to run in this bike.

Well knock on wood,but it runs like a champ now. I blew out all the vent lines on the carb and tank lastnight before i walked away from it and cleaned the carb good. Also left the old ten pound sledge hammer next to it for the night lol. It seems to go pretty decent and should make a good play bike,but nothing quite like my cr500 though.