Sign in to follow this  

1983 XR200R with lights

I picked up a nonrunning 83 XR200R a few weeks ago. I took the motor apart & replaced a bad crank assy. The conn rod bearing was bad. Got the bike running yesterday, but still needs a final tuneup.

The bike came with a "Light Kit" which had a headlight, turn signals front & back, horn, and a fender with the tail light built in. Looks like a purchased wire harness with a capacitor under the seat & some big resistors behind the front number plate.

Would like to know a little more about the light system. Is there a kit you buy or do you think it wqas pieced together.

I have a pair of early XR200R engines (an 82XR200R and an XR200R engine in an RM chassis). The early XR200Rs had a 6 volt AC lighting system but with a 12 volt regulator they will power 12 volt lights (involved technical issue just go with it). If your system has a physically large capacitor in the system it is there as a filter in the DC system, a battery does the same thing. Turn signal blinker relays usually need DC to work properly, the circuit should also have a full wave rectifier or a rectifier/regulator to change the alternator output to DC.

I don't understand the need for the resistors unless they are used to regulate voltage when the headlight is off but a rectifier/regulator would do the same thing.

I did find a reg & rectificer under the seat. The resisors are connected to the headlight. I will take some pictures in the next few days

Sounds like the PO modded the electrical system. Take a look at the engine serial number to verify if it's a 83, the early XR200 serial numbers begin with ME04, the later engines ME05. Next check is to verify if it has a stock stator by pulling the tank and examining the wires from the stator, early stators have two wires; a black/red to the CDI and a blue for the lights. The alternator is internally grounded so the frame is ground. The 86-88 stator is also two wire but I believe the lighting wire is pink. 90-02 use a floating ground (two wires for the lighting). If you pull the alternator cover the early engines have two stator coils inside the cover, one for the ignition and a second for the lights. 86 and on have a one piece stator with many poles. Baja Designs can rewind 86 and on stators to increase output from 65 watts to 110 watts.