Sign in to follow this  

Installing a 290 Kit? ring order?

In what order do the rings get placed on the piston?

did I do this correctly?

(I am referencing from this thread)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642348&highlight=installing+new+piston

IMG_5615.jpg

sandwich these three together in the bottom position?

I put in the middle first, the lower, and then the upper

IMG_5610.jpg

darker gray one next? the copper one on top?

IMG_5613.jpg

I had to follow the diagram from the manual for the details :

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

the rings:

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

Looks legit.The rings might also be beveled,make sure that the bevel is facing upwards.Make sure that the ring gaps arnt lined up in a row,dont remember why that is important though,learned it back in high school auto engines class.

the directions on the cometic gasket directions say "dry installation recommended" but I've read that some have had problems and used coppercoat ....... time to decide, soon! ......

Looks legit.The rings might also be beveled,make sure that the bevel is facing upwards.Make sure that the ring gaps arnt lined up in a row,dont remember why that is important though,learned it back in high school auto engines class.

In the manual is shows the positions to set where the gaps in the rings go. I didn't notice a bevel though. I did face the printing up though as stated (somewhere).

The black ring with the sharp outer edge is the oil scraper ring, and it goes in the second groove. Make sure the marking on the ring near the end gap is up, or else you will scrape oil into your combustion chamber. The copper colored ring with the silver outer face is the top ring. Put any markings on that ring "up" too. Be careful installing the 3-piece oil ring. Put the expander in first, then spiral in the bottom rail, then the top rail. Make sure everything is happy and floating free.

The black ring with the sharp outer edge is the oil scraper ring, and it goes in the second groove. Make sure the marking on the ring near the end gap is up, or else you will scrape oil into your combustion chamber. The copper colored ring with the silver outer face is the top ring. Put any markings on that ring "up" too. Be careful installing the 3-piece oil ring. Put the expander in first, then spiral in the bottom rail, then the top rail. Make sure everything is happy and floating free.

wonderful, I seem to have what you say done. in the morning I'll install this 290 kit. my head isn't ready yet, got new valves being installed for it locally. I also have a new cam chain, and I'm going to float the ground on the stator ... oh yeah, new suspension work front and rear .... my bike isn't looking too good at the moment!

bike isn't looking too good at the moment!

haha I hear you on that one! Part of my bike is hanging on wires in the garage, the frame is in the living room, the motor is strewn about the basement, and the wheels are completely taken apart. Iv got a lot of work ahead of me.

haha I hear you on that one! Part of my bike is hanging on wires in the garage, the frame is in the living room, the motor is strewn about the basement, and the wheels are completely taken apart. Iv got a lot of work ahead of me.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours :)

biketeardown.jpg

Make sure your rings arnt too big.Doesnt go over well seen some bad cylinder walls in v's because of this.Check the ring gap by taking each ring one at a time and slide it into your cylinder.Then take piston and rod assembly and slide the ring down into the cylinder to where it will be once engine is running.use a feeler gauge and measure your ring gap.Repeat for all rings.

When ever I have done a car engine I dip the pistons in a container of oil to coat them slightly.Dont know if you can do this on bikes though?

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours :)

biketeardown.jpg

Haha, there's no way I could take pictures of mine, it would take probably 15 pictures just to find everypart. It's litterally down to every nut and bolt. It's getting a 100% rebuild from knobby to knobby.

Haha, there's no way I could take pictures of mine, it would take probably 15 pictures just to find everypart. It's litterally down to every nut and bolt. It's getting a 100% rebuild from knobby to knobby.

it's taken down that far? then you must take pictures of it! if not to post them, at least to have for some future reference or such. :)

I mark the piston with a magic maker for the ring gap location. I have found it easier to slip the piston in the cylinder first then take the cylinder and piston and slide the wrist pin through the piston.

I mark the piston with a magic maker for the ring gap location. I have found it easier to slip the piston in the cylinder first then take the cylinder and piston and slide the wrist pin through the piston.

an interesting idea, and one that I'll be looking at when I do this in the morning. I thought that this might be a bit tricky, knowing this little techniques might surely come in handy!

I have found it easier to slip the piston in the cylinder first then take the cylinder and piston and slide the wrist pin through the piston.

Rockyracer

Can you explain how that works?What are you trying to accomplish?Cause it dont make no sense to me.:)