Sign in to follow this  

riding in sand

ok so im going out to the vegas area for a month or so and I could not imagine not taking my bike

the question is do I really need to run a sand paddle or could I ride on my fresh maxxis? i have rode a sand track here in IL before and momentom was the key but it really seemed to give me a work out. would it give me more control? or does the paddle just take stress off the motor? I have no idea

any thoughts would be helpful or anyone with exp. on the terrain out there would be great thanks fellow TTers :)

I ride the desert all the time with a Dunlop 739, I believe you only need a paddle in deep loose sand. Your Maxxis should be fine.

I have normal motocross tires and dont have a problem in the sand. Just keep on the gas and learn to throw your bike around.

What bike do you have, how much HP does it make?

i always ride pismo with no paddle if i have a semi fresh knobbie just air down to around 5-6 and go for it

i have seen pismo claim so many 125's

I've been to Pismo Beach with a non paddle tire and it was fine.
I was at Pismo last weekend on STREET tires (bt016 rear) and it was... interesting, but fun. oh, on a 625SMC at that.

Go check out Dumont while you are in vegas if you want to ride real sand.... Your 125 will definitely need a paddle for there though, the dunes are massive and very steep. I've ridden a 125 out there with a paddle back in the day and had no problems. If you had a 450 I would say its not the end of the world if you don't have a paddle. Sometimes I don't run one when I go out to Glamis because I'm too lazy to change and and haven't gotten a spare rim yet. Good luck, make sure you have a new and tightly sealed air filter and you will be good to go!!

I was at Pismo last weekend on STREET tires (bt016 rear) and it was... interesting, but fun. oh, on a 625SMC at that.

To "one up" you... I tore the knobbies off my KTM 450 rims, backed off the spoke nuts so they stood off the rim and rode the whole length of Glamis.

Who needs fri--ken paddles. Thems for sissy men and atv people who have no balance.

Oddfire

if you just ride in the desert you will be just fine with a dirt tire but these other guys are ate up saying you'll be fine with a dirt tire in real dunes......sure it will "work" but while you are trying to climb some half way decent dunes your buddys will be in 4th on a wheelie up the whole dune wondering why they have to stop after every hill climb for your sorry ass to catch up...

let me put it this way climbing a dune at dumont with a dirt tire is like driving a 1000hp civic in the rain

and yes before anybody ask I have ridden all my bikes with and without paddles in the dunes my 2-stroke 125, 2-stroke 250 and my 4-stroke 450 in pismo and dumont dunes multiple times IN FACT im going to pismo this weekend

Could be worse, I rode on the beach in the Outer Banks/North Carolina last summer on the oem dunlops.

how did you do that?! did you do it legally?

is it illegal to ride without a paddle tire?

no its not. i just dont think its legal to ride motorized vehicals at the outer banks.

no its not. i just dont think its legal to ride motorized vehicals at the outer banks.

There's a few miles of beach where they let you romp around and fish or do what ever as long as you don't drive through the ocean water....in which case a cop on a 4 wheeler screams at you for 15 minutes straight, then your ranger's brakes rust solid....not that any of that happened to me....

I think it feels like you lose about 1/3 the power without a paddle on the flats. I haven't tried it trying to climb comp hill though but I would imagine that it would be much more than 1/3? I now have a complete spare with a paddle for the dunes :p