grip glue alternative??

I've heard of people using spray paint instead of grip glue. My question is I have a can of primer left over from doing my frame can I use this as grip glue for my pro taper pillow tops? I dont want to do it then have them slip or have the paint start eating the grips.

• Like 1

I have been using electrical tape and gasoline for years and never had a loose grip. Just wrap the bar in electrical tape and pour a little gas in the grip, swirl it around to coat the inside of the grip, then dump the gas and quickly slide the grip on..

Not sure about the primer. I use clear spray paint and it works good. I still wrap my grips with safety wire, but probably would be okay without.

You don`t need any kind of glue. Go get some safety wire, one spool will last a life time. Then use what ever you want to slide the grips on, gas, wd-40, soapy water, safety wire them on and your good to go.

i don't know if it's true but a tech at the dealership told me that grip glue is just super-glue but with a higher pricetag. if that's true just grab some super-glue and go to work.

i have always used electrical tape and a lil safety wire. as far as grip glue. its only like $1.99. I would think paint would work though if thats what you have

i don't know if it's true but a tech at the dealership told me that grip glue is just super-glue but with a higher pricetag. if that's true just grab some super-glue and go to work.

No grip glue is contact cement not super glue, super glue is completely different animal.

You can buy a pint can of weldwood contact cement at home depot or lowes for what allot of bar companies charge for a small tube of grip glue. Works just the same.

auto shop dude tipped me to use starting fluid. I sprayed a little in each pro taper pillow top, slipped right on and grips tight. I didn't have time to safety wire my grips before last week's hare scramble and they held up fine for 2 hours of thrashing and crashing. Not even a sign of twisting afterwards.

I use hairspray. The cheap, tacky kind. I spray it on the bars and inside the grips and then work them on. Later on, when it's time for new grips, it cleans off the bars easily with rubbing alcohol.

No grip glue is contact cement not super glue, super glue is completely different animal.

You can buy a pint can of weldwood contact cement at home depot or lowes for what allot of bar companies charge for a small tube of grip glue. Works just the same.

The grip glue I used one time was just super glue, I forget what brand it was. I thought it was Scotts but that is just contact cement.

Now I just go to the store and get some generic super glue, works so well Im considering trying another type of adhesive because my grips are way to difficult to remove.

auto shop dude tipped me to use starting fluid. I sprayed a little in each pro taper pillow top, slipped right on and grips tight. I didn't have time to safety wire my grips before last week's hare scramble and they held up fine for 2 hours of thrashing and crashing. Not even a sign of twisting afterwards.

I tried this after reading and it works perfect. blows my mind really. I will safety wire tomorrow but for now it wont twist the slightest.

It's always been gas for me.

I just put a little gas in the grips twirl them around dump out the gas slip the grips on the bars and safety wire them. If for some reason I need to switch bars and the grips arent damaged I am able to reuse them as well. To get them off I just cut off the safety wire and use compressed air to get them off. :p

Since I've already got the picture cued up in my clipboard, this is the best/most economical grip glue:

3m847.jpg

It's available at most car parts stores. You can use it as a contact adhesive, too.

The important thing is that if you have anodized bars, you need to rough up the left side of the bar with the edge of a file before gluing. You'll never lose a grip again. Safety wire is a must if you ride in wet conditions, though.

I don't use anything. I just push the grip onto the bars and safety wire it. They don't move for me...

+1 for the safety wire. I know of a semi-elastic one that holds up well, kinda like fishing line.

feels the same when its dried all over your fingers :p

I'll try that starting fluid trick. I tried WD-40 but they've been twisting like theres nothing there.