Sign in to follow this  

trailer camping near exit 131/swell

I think we're going to spend 2 days riding in the swell on our way to moab this year. Previously I've camped pretty much right at the 5moh trailhead (7 miles or so off the interstate), but we'll be arriving quite late friday night, and only staying 2 nights, and dragging a big trailer, so I was wondering if there are any convenient spots close by, perhaps on the other side of the interstate, that are easy for sleepy people to get into and out of w/o much muss or fuss, and still allow us easy access to 5moh and dickbrass system 1 day, and eagle/coal/devil's racetrack the other day before we pack up and move to big mesa or sand flats.

I see people camping just north of exit 131, not more than a few hundred yards. There is a trail on the map (can't think what it's called) which starts there. This is not the most beautiful place to camp, but you will have aeasy ccess to all the trails you want to loop and you'll probably see others camped there as well.

• Like 1

I see people camping just north of exit 131, not more than a few hundred yards. There is a trail on the map (can't think what it's called) which starts there. This is not the most beautiful place to camp, but you will have aeasy ccess to all the trails you want to loop and you'll probably see others camped there as well.

Kewl, we'll only be there 1 or 2 nights before moving on to moab, and we'll be riding the whole time, so easy access with the trailer is more important than a wonderful scenic camp spot. I sort of recalled that there was a little open space on the north side of the fwy, but wasn't sure. thanks for the info. gas 4 u.

There's some spots on the road to Swayze's cabin not far off the main road. They're on the south side of road with cedars around for some scenery.

As mentioned there is pleanty of camping north of 170, 131. Follow the county rd about 1/4 of a mile to some cedar trees. I have camped there. You get to listen to the semis drive by. It is not too bad becuase they slow down a bit at night. Two cautions. You are next to I-70 a major route for illegal drugs from California to Chicago. I would not camp there without a firearm and definately keep your stuff locked up.