Moab lodging...

Some great info on the Moab sticky about the trails and I've made plenty of notes to take with us on our trip but......I need info on SPECIFIC lodging properties that are dirt biker friendly (i.e. plenty of space for bike and/or trailer parking, etc...).

I'm inclined to NOT pull my toy hauler all the way to Utah but if we do, any campground and/or staging locations where we could dry camp and ride straight on to the trails from camp would be great.

You can ride to all the north moab trails from either big mesa (free dry camping off hwy 313) or archviewcampground (corner of 313 and 191, 8 miles north of moab). You can ride to some trails from Sand flats (cheap dry camping).

Lots of people stay at the super-8. I always see a million trailers there. Some folks prefer the camping cabins at one of the rv resorts.

We stayed at the holiday inn express on the north side of town. plenty of parking and free breakfast. I thought about the Rv but the cost of fuel would pay for the motel. Also you are able to see and do more of the trails instead of being located in one place.

LaQuinta on the south end within walking distance to Moab Brewery... ?

Rooms are getting easy to get now that the Utah leos are running around ticketing perfectly legal ds bikes and people are staying away...

Whos giving tickets? which law officers? Lets hear the facts? What laws have been broken?

The guy in the first link cant even spell. I will contact the sherriffs' office tomorrow. The second link refers to street legal ATV's conforming to utah laws. Where does it refer to out of state motorcycles? The other day I sat there when a friend of mine called Moab Police, Utah State patrol, And Utah BLM. Moab Police said as long as its plated and the rider is motorcycle endorsed, Is all thats required. The state patrol said the same thing as BLM, if its plated, They treat a out of state bike no different than a Jeep from another state. If you have Utah plates you better be legal to their laws.

This info is from the officers themselves. Not second hand. I will be there in April we'll see.

The guy in the first link cant even spell. I will contact the sherriffs' office tomorrow. The second link refers to street legal ATV's conforming to utah laws. Where does it refer to out of state motorcycles? The other day I sat there when a friend of mine called Moab Police, Utah State patrol, And Utah BLM. Moab Police said as long as its plated and the rider is motorcycle endorsed, Is all thats required. The state patrol said the same thing as BLM, if its plated, They treat a out of state bike no different than a Jeep from another state. If you have Utah plates you better be legal to their laws.

This info is from the officers themselves. Not second hand. I will be there in April we'll see.

Read the Adv link, a number of people talked to different govt employees (blm, sheriff, state parks) and got conflicting info. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9160972&postcount=87

I dont think the people enforcing the laws even know the law. Their just making stuff up to hassle people.

BINGO...We've got a winner!!

This is just harassment of a selected group. If this was just about getting a permit, I would stand in line,buy the permits and go ride. But from numerous reports( yes they are 2nd hand) this is an agressive local policy.

If Moab was really dirtbike friendly, as travelmoab would have us believe, they would issue warnings and not citations.

I for one will not be headed to Moab any time soon unless I hear reports that the LEOs are acting responsibly. (as they have usually done in the past)

Given the state current state of the economy, this is a profoundly moronic move by the state and LOCAL governments. It can only hurt Moab's image and it's lifeblood, tourism.

The greenies must be dancing in the streets over this one.

Someone should contact the Moab Chamber of commerce. Maybe they can put pressure on the authorities to clarify the laws. If people quit coming to Ride, Their town could dry up. We are their Bread and Butter. Maybe I might just go see them in person when I'm there in April.

What I would like to know is what it would take for Utah and Colorado governments to once again honor reciprocity between the states OHV stickers?

Maybe this is the issue that we should be writing our local state government officials about. After all if they dont know that its a problem or issue then why would they bother to change it?

so take the plate off and trailer to the trail head?

+2. Just registered my once UT street legal Honda XR4 as a dirt bike. I've decided not to install a light kit with the tree branch grabbing turn signals.

What I would like to know is what it would take for Utah and Colorado governments to once again honor reciprocity between the states OHV stickers?

Maybe this is the issue that we should be writing our local state government officials about. After all if they dont know that its a problem or issue then why would they bother to change it?

Absolutely agree. The money collected from the permits can't even come close the amount of money neighboring state residents would spend on their Moab trips. I certainly can't blame anyone for not heading to Moab.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/ohv/reciprocity.html

PS. I like camping at Big Mesa or along the Colorado NE of town.

LaQuinta for me as well. Headed there tomorrow for a week. ?:banghead:

On the reciprocity issue. I was told by Utah State Parks that it was a change made by Colorado regarding reciprocity that is causing the problems. I've got two ATV's and two Colorado plated dirt bikes on the trip.....I'm going to buy the Utah out of state permits just to be safe. I'll post back here what I learn and any contacts.

:banghead:

The guy in the first link cant even spell.

Yea, what an idiot!!! He has no idea what he's talking about either.

what does "cant" mean BTW???

As for lodging, I like the Apachee(SIC) mainly cuz(SIC) its rite(SIC) next to Milt's, witch(SIC) has the best burgers and shakes in towne(SIC).

Now, I'm off to grammar skool(SIC)