Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z 400 or DR 650?

I had just about decided on a KTM 450 until I realized that it's just too tall for me. So I'm considering a Suzuki, either the 400 or the 650. I know that neither of these will provide the thrills of the KTM, but as I am getting up there in years I also realize that something somewhat less exciting would probably be best. I'll be using the bike for fire roads, trails, woods and around town. I do like abundant, effortless power. I weight 205 lbs. So which will it be, 400 or 650? Thanks.

The DRZ400 is a little lighter, but the 650 has a lower seat and you can get a lowering kit for it.

The 650 is more of a do-it-all but not overly good bike. Surprisingly decent at both. The 400 will work better off road but will be lacking on-road depending on the speeds/distance you plan to ride at.

Since you were going to get the KTM I would think the DRZ400 would probaby be the better choice. I have never rode the 650 but I would think it being slightly heavier would make trails more work but would help it on the road. Oh yeah I love my DRZ400S.

drz400e with lower seat or lowering links for mainly offroad dr650 for mainly onroad, Ossa explorer 280i if it ever gets released for low seat offroad fun bike. xr650r for desert bike