Sign in to follow this  

Mirrors. Use e'm?

I see a lot of nice bikes posted. I think half the reason they look so nice is because there are no mirrors! Undoubtedly they look like trash sticking out there but I can't really imagine riding without them. Do some of you ride without mirrors or toggle them off/on a lot or just ride offroad? Any looks from officers of the law without them if you do ride mirror-less?

I hate how they look but i do actually use mine. I dont really think i need two but IMO it looks just as goofy with only one. A buddy of mine has a tiny bar end mirror on his KLX supermoto but he doesnt use it. Its just so he can say its there. It looks clean but if you have a good set of handgaurds you cant use it and its not legal anyway (here at least)

State College area. Lewistown to be exact.

I got rid of the mouse ears on mine and use these:

IMG_0907.jpg

Get great coverage and if I drop the bike they don't get trashed.

With the way people drive out here, you need mirrors and use them constantly.

I wasn't a fan of the lolli-pop stockers so I switched them to a cheap set off JC Whitney here.

There's a picture of them on the bike around here somewhere.

They look better and provide a wider view of what's behind you, but one member that purchased them recently said his had a wavy lense and a loose ball joint.

Mine have been fine, but just something to bear in mind.

I am with Ranger on this one, I ride mostly on the road, have an X, and can't imagine riding without them, atleast in South Florida, so many morons. Most cars down here, the mirrors are pointing at the side of the car, or at the driver, to put on makeup. I ride like no one can see me. Makes me nervous sitting at lights, till a few cars build up behind me.

I am the one with the bum set of JC Whitney's Ranger was referring to, based upon other posts, I would have to say I just got a bad set. I am going to work with them, I think in the end they will be better than stock, I would buy them again, $20, can't go wrong. The wider mirror gives a much better view.

Took mine off....then TWO buddies got rear-ended while sitting at stoplights by idiotic drivers. So I put them back on even though I almost never used them. But now I find myself looking at what's coming at me at lights so much I'm the guy who doesn't see the green light to GO.

Speaking of big ugly mirrors, Ducati's new road bike is being called, among other things, a rabbit because of the mirrors. Of the numerous would-be owners, the first thing I've read they'll be changing is, yup, the mirrors.

http://www.acquiremag.com/2008/11/05/ducatisf.jpg

I got rid of the mouse ears on mine and use these:

IMG_0907.jpg

Get great coverage and if I drop the bike they don't get trashed.

+1

same set up here.

They're required here in Alaska but, I think I'd like at least one even if they weren't. Too many dumb asses out there not paying attention.

Took mine off....then TWO buddies got rear-ended while sitting at stoplights by idiotic drivers. So I put them back on even though I almost never used them. But now I find myself looking at what's coming at me at lights so much I'm the guy who doesn't see the green light to GO.

Speaking of big ugly mirrors, Ducati's new road bike is being called, among other things, a rabbit because of the mirrors. Of the numerous would-be owners, the first thing I've read they'll be changing is, yup, the mirrors.

http://www.acquiremag.com/2008/11/05/ducatisf.jpg

Along with those big ugly plastic brake and clutch reservoirs.

What were they thinking?

:)

I see a lot of nice bikes posted. I think half the reason they look so nice is because there are no mirrors! Undoubtedly they look like trash sticking out there but I can't really imagine riding without them. Do some of you ride without mirrors or toggle them off/on a lot or just ride offroad? Any looks from officers of the law without them if you do ride mirror-less?

I found a set of mirrors that look great on the WRR/X. They are Aprilia Tuono mirrors and you can order them from American Sport Bike for $34.95 ea.

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16113.html

But because Yamaha has reverse threads on the right mirror mount I had to get some adapters for $8.99 from Dennis Kirk:

http://www.denniskirk.com/1/1/101004-russell-reverse-thread-adapter-p27159.html

Here is the thread that has pics of these mirrors on the WR:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747299

i use a crg hindsight.. its convexed so its a fish eye look, wide angle. i look under my left arm, visibility is decent, but i always head check. its more for knowing if something comes up behind me.:)

DSCF0081edit.jpg

yeah i like the cleaner look of the crg. is that the fold-in unit? how's the adjustability? did you have to use an adapter or was the kit complete? 8.gif

I'm a head turner, but seeing behind me on the highway is most important to me. Good to know what's trying to run you down...:)

One thing I've made note of is the position of the controls. Since the mirror mount is part of the brake/clutch perch, this is the biggest sticking point for me.

Oddly enough, once I took the time to set my controls where I really wanted them - old school, stand up, the stockers actually sit in a nice spot right above my handguards. I see just what I need standing up, and with a little head motion - seated as well. It's actually a nice extra buffer at highway too.

I'll probably invest in a different type of mirror though...

I'll try to post a pic or two later...

If I can get the pics to show right...

lousy sun, too lazy to move the bike, otherwise I'd have a side view.

WRRMirrLev1.jpg

WRRMirrLev2.jpg

as you can see the levers are way forward. The way it works out in reality (the pics are slightly skewed) is that the mirror floats just above the handguard, the lever is just inside the lower portion of the guard.

Yeah, I like it this way. :)

I'm standing at least half of the time even when on the street - works really well for those of you that haven't done this. Believe it or not, riding the streets of Chicago is rougher than the fire roads at home... :banghead:

I use this. Its cheap, but functional and foldable. Just what I need for the dirt.

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

Folded...

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

They jiggle a bit, but it dosent bother me. I just have them up to get to the trails.

:) Someone else with the UFO's. I have both of them but they're mounted under the bars. Mine don't jiggle.:banghead:

:) Someone else with the UFO's. I have both of them but they're mounted under the bars. Mine don't jiggle.:banghead:

Uh. Should we even go there... :banghead: