Sign in to follow this  

why NO M16 in any catalogs?

Hey Dwight,

i know you swear by the M16 Rear tire so i was wondering why all my recent catalogs from these online places never have it listed as a tire for Michelin?

Thanks

Scotty J.

Hey Dwight,

i know you swear by the M16 Rear tire so i was wondering why all my recent catalogs from these online places never have it listed as a tire for Michelin?

Thanks

Scotty J.

Because it is a Pirelli. See your local Parts Unlimited Dealer and order from him. He will appreciate your business.

IMO,

Dwight

I took Dwight's recommendation of the mt16 rear and couldn't be happier for my eastern woods terrain. Works great in hard soft and muddy. Great tire for most any condition as promised. Enjoy!

I just bought my first MT16's, probably the only tire I'll run from now on if I have a choice.

The big surprise is this tire is based off the old Pirelli MT07 which was around in the early 70s. Some Rubber and carcass design changed but the tread is still the same. IT WORKS. I not only run this tire on my modern bikes but also my bigger Vintage bikes.

Dwight

sorry to jack slightly but what terrain is this for??

sorry to jack slightly but what terrain is this for??

The MT16 is a all terrain / intermediate tire. I like it everywhere. I vary air pressure according to weather and terrain.

Dwight

ah ok one more slight hint of jacking if there are rocks the size of your fist or larger and you hit them at high spededs that would mean higher pressure

correct?

The big surprise is this tire is based off the old Pirelli MT07 which was around in the early 70s. Some Rubber and carcass design changed but the tread is still the same. IT WORKS. I not only run this tire on my modern bikes but also my bigger Vintage bikes.

Dwight

I've come to the conclusion that is why it works so well. It is a vintage design that is not focused on trying to be great in any one type of terrain. I think the issue with many modern tires is that they are too focused on a specific style of terrain, which is OK for MX, but doesn't work in enduros. Take the S12, lots of people love them and they do work great in soft and muddy conditions, but as soon as you hit some hard pack they get really skaty and they're not good in rocks either. With the MT16, it has a softer rubber compound and larger knobs (surface area) of a hard terrain tire, but the knobs are also tall and spaced out enough to dig in soft dirt.

I'm trying one this weekend at the Hancock Dual Sport.

If it sucks Dwight will be hearing from my attorneys.

Dual Sport ? I never said it was a Dual Sport tire. It is a 100% dirt tire that is DOT approved on the front tire. If running in dirt run 12 psi max. If on road run 15psi min.

Dwight

I've run the MT16 at Hancock and other DS events. It's my favorite rear tire, as well, and it holds up just fine on the road. 1000+ miles of mixed riding/racing before it was totally shot. I run 12 psi with UHD tubes.

I've heard of some cases where the carcass can come apart on the inside of the tire, have see that happen Dwirght? I like the MT16 too :thumbsup: