Sign in to follow this  

When is it time to move up?

as a topic that i see go mostly unnoticed. i had to ask. when is it time to move up?

my mom and dad and I were talking over dinner a few nights ago about racing and what not.. and i casually mentioned having a few practice sessions from now and again on a friends bike to prepare for a move up in about a year and a half. now let me stop here and give some background information about myself. im 13 weigh 120# and am 5' 8". ive been riding for three years and racing for about 6 months. ive been through 5 bikes and currently have 2 rm85s. now back to the story. so i say dad, should i ride

125s for a year before moving to 250Fs or just make the jump. he tells me im not riding nothing but 85s til im 16!!! i said dad. you always harp about safety and now your telling me this!! its completely unsafe to be 16 and probably around 6' 2" riding around on an 85.especially since i can only race them until im 15. now i know ive got a little while to change his mind but this is worrying me. im in no hurry and want to put in atleast another season and a half on minis but what i'd like to know is what you all think is the right time to move up?? at what age did YOU move up?

I was 13 when I got my 125 however, back then they were some what smaller yet I still could only touch the ground with my toes...

As for you...being as big as you are and still growing I could only imagine you're tearing up the bikes with your size.

It more has to do with frame size, than CC/power, IMO. When you start feeling like a clown on a unicycle, time to move up. You've doing it right, though, find a friend with a bigger bike and try it out for a few laps. There are many thing you can do to your current bike to help with sizing, too, though. higher bars, lower pegs, etc...

There's a kid here who's 14 and races A (and does very well) on a 125 in the local winter Harescramble circuit.

Moving up depends on size and skill. If your winning consistently on the 85, can fit, and are comfortable on a bigger bike, it's time to move along.

Your parents are a different story. Mind you, I'm not trying to preach here.. but parental outlooks, responsibilities, and reasoning are sometimes hard for a 13 yr old to understand. May be as little as your dad was just in a bad mood that evening. A week from now he may be telling you your too small for the 85 and need to move up to a bigger bike. Who knows, grownups are weird.:)

Your best bet would be to be diligent. Do everything you can to prove your maturity, ability (both on and off the bike), and worth of a bigger bike.

Be patient, 2 years is a long time, even in the world of an old fart like me

thanks everyone for the input. he also added today that the reason is he doesnt want to spend a bunch of money on something that im gonna kick to the side because i want a car or girlfriend.. well the car i MIGHT can see but im sorry, no woman is worth more than my bike.. but either way motocross is my life and i'll drive a Chrysler "K" car before my bikes go

5'8" sounds too big for an 85 imo, but 13 sounds too young, idk. i think your ready (big enough) for a 125 or 250f as long as u can handle it (sounds like you could). i havent made the move to big bikes yet, but im going to when im around 15.

but im sorry, no woman is worth more than my bike..

:):banghead: Man, is that ever going to change in a few years! :banghead::foul:

Hopefully you can find a girl that likes to ride too. Saves a lot of grief on the matter.

:):banghead: Man, is that ever going to change in a few years! :banghead::foul:

Hopefully you can find a girl that likes to ride too. Saves a lot of grief on the matter.

I was just about to quote the same thing...

dang, you should get your priorities straight...

it goes:

girls

school

bikes

friends

family

more girls

:banghead: :banghead: Man, is that ever going to change in a few years! :foul::p

i got my eye on one that rides.. but shes three years older than me so i gotta wait til were both in high school :)

My little brother was 13 when he got his YZ125, and I was 14 when I got mine.

I think it is more about the frame size also, as one you get too big you dont have the same amount of control over the bike.

I know when I used to get on my bro's KX100 I was fast as hell on the thing, but honestly was a little out of control because of the limited suspension and strange ergos due to me being too big for the bike.

Once your friends start switching to full size bikes your parents will cave and get you one too. At least all my friends parents did when a few of us moved up.

No doubt in my mind that you are too big for the 85 brother. Just do what I did when I was your age and tell Dad that you don't feel safe on it and you feel like you're going to fall off the bike when you lean forward in the air.

As far as choosing between the 125 or 250f, riding the 125 will make you a much better rider in the long run IMO. Most of the fast guys on 250f's all started off on 125s. It is pretty easy to spot the 250f riders who skipped the 125 because their form and lap times are not nearly as good.

Go with the 125 if you can talk him into it.

• Like 1

I think you are already too big for your 85... Just get good grades in school and start doing things around the house. Talk to your dad about it more and I'm sure he will get you a 125. 125's are dirt cheap, and I'm sure you could easily get a decent one if you sold both of your 85's.

Stay on the 2 stroke a couple years before moving to the 250f and it will make you that much better, believe me!!

When you look like this on your bike...

110985.jpg

Could you imagine him trying to jump a triple or going through the whoops on that bike. :) bounceeee

thanks everyone for the input. he also added today that the reason is he doesnt want to spend a bunch of money on something that im gonna kick to the side because i want a car or girlfriend.. well the car i MIGHT can see but im sorry, no woman is worth more than my bike.. but either way motocross is my life and i'll drive a Chrysler "K" car before my bikes go

Haha, your dad is a psychic. I took a small stint from racing for a car and girls. If he has bought you all the bikes you have had so far I don't think he is just going to stop supporting the thing you love. Why not sell one of the 85's you have now and find a cheap 125?

age doesnt matter. i know of 10 yr olds on 125s and 15 yr olds on xr 100's... depends on skill and size. If you are riding the 85 then i say go for it. I was 11 or 12 5'2" about and 100-105. Yeah it was intimidating and i landed on my face a few times the first week just cause of the power and insane size over a mini lol. But i grew hieght wise went to bigger bikes for a while but am back to my badass 125. I say go for it and learn. Only one way to improve and size wise you aren't jumping the gun at all. COnsiding my starting size.