Sign in to follow this  

skipped shifts? "neutral" between 2nd and 3rd?

hey i have an 01 yz250f i bought used couple years ago sometimes ill have to shift three times to get out of 1st or 2nd and the odd time between 2nd and 3rd it will hit "neutral" for a second and jump into third most of the time the bike will shift no problem just the odd time this will happen any ideass?

I would imagine it's probably a bent shift fork or worn dogs on one of the gears. Either one of these would require splitting the cases to fix.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the shifter forks need to be replaced, but that cause it to happen all the time.

I had some problems with my 250f while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I would sometimes hit neutral. After paying more attention to my shifting, I found it happened when I was coasting and not on the throttle. Only shift when you are at or over half throttle and see if you problem goes a way.

hey i have an 01 yz250f i bought used couple years ago sometimes ill have to shift three times to get out of 1st or 2nd and the odd time between 2nd and 3rd it will hit "neutral" for a second and jump into third most of the time the bike will shift no problem just the odd time this will happen any ideass?

has it always done this from the first day you got it, or is this a new problem showing up recently?

It could be as simple as your shifter needs some moding. I had to put the yz250 2 stroke shifter on for my son with the wider tip from moose, as he was missing shifts at first. This shifter is about 1 inch longer than the 4 stroke one giving his foot more room to fit under it. He hasn't missed a shift once since doing this.

otherwise it could be as stated above.

Good luck :)

its done it since i got it but its only ever now and again it seems to happen

hopefully its just me ill pay more attention to the shifts and see if it happens again thanks for the tips

It could be a worn part called the segment. It looks similar to 6 or 7 tooth sprocket it connects to the shift drum. its used to hold the shift drums in the actual gears. The valleys are the gears and the teeth pull it into neutral while shifting. it has a v cut into the top of the tooth for neutral between the valleys of gears one and two. it could be the that tooth between gears 2 and 3 has warn down. Some have a slight v as a false neutral to help with shifting but it could have been warn out beyond that. If you want to look up the image its in the shift shaft diagram on the parts fiche. It's number one on the image and part number 4EW-18185-00-00. It's like a $30 dollar part and I'm not sure it requires you to split the case. Just remove the full right side cover.