Sign in to follow this  

Bracing the XR400

Do many of you use a fork brace on your XR400's? Are the forks ok without one (flex wise), or do you consider it a necessity?

I had a Superbrace on my 1998 XR400. I didn't see much difference in the handling. I have a Screamin' Eagle fork brace on my 1991 Harley Sportster and it did make a big difference in steering confidence. Of course, those forks are a smaller ID than the 400.

I had one on my stock forks before I did the USD fork conversion. I had noticed a difference over not having on and noticed a huge difference between the fork brace and the USD forks.

The SRC brace was one of the first mods I did to my XR years ago. I think it makes a profound difference in rough, technical terrain, rocks and ruts. I wouldn't want an XR without one now.

Have to agree with Trailryder42, though mine is a Superbrace since I think the SRC is no longer available.

Cheers,

Ben

Want a good before and after test of a riding with a fork brace? Before installing one, go out and spend some time riding across some ruts at angles of 45* and less, all kinds of ruts, deep ruts, shallow ruts.........rocks too.

Then install a brace and go out and do the same thing again.:)

I just checked out superbrace and YOWZA... is it just me, or is $165 a little pricey?

I just checked out superbrace and YOWZA... is it just me, or is $165 a little pricey?

No, it's a LOT pricey if you ask me. :)

The fork brace helps amazingly through rough, rutted and rocky sections. When you're riding rough, downhill sections at high speed, it's sincerely necessary. I think it's the best mod to the XR400, besides suspension.

Here's an exchange I recently had with SuperBrace (looks like there are a lot of costs I did not realize?):

My Question:

Why is the superbrace so expensive? I understand it's a high quality product but $165 seems a little pricey. Hopefully this is not because superbrace has the fork brace market cornered.

Response from SuperBrace rep:

The $165 has nothing to do with having the market cornered. There are a lot of costs that most customers don't think about. CNC machines are very expensive (comparable to mortgages for most of the country) plus the rent to house them. Aluminum is also very expensive (it's recently dropped but overall costly). Labor is also very expensive (machinists are trained professionals and a lot of the cost of the brace goes into their labor and material prototyping). In addition to their wages, there is worker's comp, insurances, etc. Then, polishing and hard black anodizing is very costly also. Finally, packaging and boxes add to all of it. In addition to the labor and material cost, there is a lot of money in promoting, giveaways and advertising. I'm not trying to come off mad but I can assure that there are a lot of steps and people involved with the manufacturing 1 SuperBrace. I can assure that with the purchase of a SuperBrace, you are receiving a high quality, fork brace that is made in America. I can also assure that SuperBrace will continue to support the motorcycle community and we back our products opposed to any fly by night knockoffs that are made in someone's garage without insurance/ liability.

On a positive note, we do run group buys occasionally and most dealers offer discounted pricing. If you have any other questions, please give us a call at 800-322-4783 or email us your bike and I’ll personally find you the best price!

Ride Safe,

SuperBrace – the Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

www.superbrace.com