Sign in to follow this  

Need advise on purchace of 250 4 stroke

Just got my 11 year old an xr 80 and I plan to get something to chase him on. I am 5'9'' 170, used to ride motocross on an RM 125 but have not ridden in years. I have no plans to ride on street or in competition. Would like to ride primarily trails in Texas and in family enduros with no intention of winning - just for fun. Am planning to buy used, trying to keep it under $3000 and looking primarily at 250 4 strokes. I dont care to go back to mixing oil and fouling plugs. I am more concerned with weight, suspension and handling than in power or speed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Sounds like a crf250x or a wr250 would be best for you if ur gonna do offroad. Both are great bikes for that type of bike.

You are going to get a ton of opinions on what 4 stroke 250 is the best. with all due respect, here is my opinion, which may be worth exactly what you are paying for it ... zilch

If you've got < 3000 here's my advice. Get a trail oriented 2 stroke such as a KDX or KTM exc or xc-w. You won't be fouling plugs with a modern 2 stroke, I don't know where the F these myths come from. You also stand a lot better chance of not purchasing someone elses time bomb about ready to go off in your garage; which is exactly what a used 250F's head is.

Thanks for your thoughts! Having owned Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda in the past, I had never really considered the KDX. It looks like a great option. My only concern would be if the power band is wide/forgiving enough to ride slow behind kids. This is the main reason I had originally considered 4 stroke. I also want something light and nimble which would tend to favor 2 strokes. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

the stock 200 has a pretty luggable powerband, and can be made even more so with the "gnarly" pipe.

if you really want it to run exactly like a 4 stroke, get a stock kdx220, they are the grunt kings!

trust me, neither of the kdxs are anything like a motocrosser, and they are happy blubbering along ALL DAY at almost idle rpms and never foul a plug.

Thanks for your thoughts! Having owned Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda in the past, I had never really considered the KDX. It looks like a great option. My only concern would be if the power band is wide/forgiving enough to ride slow behind kids. This is the main reason I had originally considered 4 stroke. I also want something light and nimble which would tend to favor 2 strokes. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't be nervous about a used 250F.

Instead do your research into the maintenance history, then verify these things. If he says the valves are in spec check them; if he says it has been rebuilt ask for recipets.

A used 250F is a godo buy if you are careful, and the myths about them blowing up are largely just that - myths.

my buddy has a kdx... an 02 i think idk the last year of em.. he has never fouled a plug and rubbed it in my face when my race oriented kx 100 fouled plugs.n those bikes are absolutely awesome they have so much stock snap its amazing.. the kdx is the ultimate 2-smoker woods bike.