Sign in to follow this  

Bike wont start, bump it or jump lead it?

Bike in girlfriends garage for a while went to take it out today but just got a repeated ticking/clicking noise from the stater motor. Am guessing that the battery is to low to turn the starter over properly?

Want to take it out over the weekend but how should I start it, bump it if so what the best gear to do it in?

Or get it going of the car battery with jumps leads?

Will I have to charge my battery or will riding it around all day give it enough charge to keep it going?

Thanks for your help

It is likely that you could use either method to get it started. However the battery is most likely shot if it has set for the winter. Once you get it running don't turn it off until you return or only park on big hills. You might consider seeing if the battery will charge using a low rate charger.

You could bump start it in 3rd or just jump start it with the car battery.

I always jump start my bikes as I have seen many a bump start end up badly! :)

bump it in second, but put it in neutral while pushing... less resistance. It may take a few tries as it will be cold. Ride it around for as long as possible, and get a battery tender if possible. Being that it is still clicking there is the capacity to hold some charge but you will have to find out if it will hold enough.

How long have you parked it? I would try charging 1st. If you have to bump start, do as mentioned earlier : in neutral to get some momentum then into 2nd. Save some headaches in the future, get the SSW start-up kit and larger battery, a battery tender is usually advised.

Hope it works out for you,

Tony