Sign in to follow this  

Need suggestions on Jetting/Tuning for an '07 DRZ125L w/PC pipe

I bought an '07 DRZ125L earlier this year as another pitbike. It runs good and does not cut out or anything but after putting a Pro Circuit full exhaust on, cutting top of airbox open, and rejetting to 107.5 Main, 20 Pilot, stock air filter... it just does not seem like what it should be.

I have an 05 TTR125L with BBR pipe on it, open airbox, rejetted and that sucker has some torque and runs GREAT for a stock 125 motor. I realize they are geared somewhat different but you can bog the TTR down coming out of a tight corner in 2nd gear and it will just keep pulling like a 250f does w/o boggin out. The DRZ does not do this and just feels like the motor is being choked both low RPM/torque and full acceleration straights, and it also has trouble pulling wheelies unlike the TTR. The reason I am confused is I thought I read on here that a DRZ has more stock HP than a TTR. So what gives? :)

Its a nice bike but I am considering just selling it and finding another newer TTR to mod the exact same as my other one. (I need 2 pitbikes so my gf can have one to ride).

Any suggestions? I am at 890 above sea level. I tried a 110 main to start out with and it was running pretty rich on fuel (black, kinda wet plug tip) even with the fuel screw all the way in so I back it off to a 107.5.

i have an 05, pc pipe, cut airbox, twin air filter, sea level.

i am running a 110 main, 20 pilot, fuel screw at about 2-1/2, seems to be a hair lean on the bottom/mid, and a tad rich on top. goina try and raise the needle before i touch anything else.

starts and idles/warms up and runs just fine as is tho.

are you saying it ran better before your mods?

No it runs better now. Idles fine, does not try to bog out unless you twist full throttle at low RPM or in Neutral at idle.

It was EXTREMELY weird, after completing mods, I took it up and down the street that night and that thing was FLYING and was NIGHT and DAY difference, seemed to be pulling fantastic. I took it out the first time to ride trails and it just seemed like the power dropped off back to normal after about an hour of riding. (this was with 110 main). I got home, checked the plug and it was pretty wet and dark like it was running way rich on fuel. Now it seems the only thing noticable more than stock is sound and quicker rev time. Turned fuel screw all the way in and took the bike out again and it was same thing it is now, just felt like there wasn't much more juice than stock.

Wonder if I should run up to Suz dealer today and grab a Ready Filter if that would help with air flow?? or is that not considered higher flow than stock? I would rather not drop more money on a Twin Air or something expensive til I'm sure this bike is gonna run like it should.

I mean when I talk about the power I realize its not gonna add lots of HP or be like a 250f. Im just talkin about after you do mods it really frees up the motor on these 125's where it seems to have more torque to pull up hills easier, out of corners low RPM's easier, pull wheelies easier in low gears.... this bike just doesn't seem to have that juice like the TTR does after mods. I was really excited to get this bike too, never had a Suz before and LOVE the black and white plastics w/ the PC pipe... looks VERY sexy!

Anyone else have any suggestions? I realize the jetting questions are a dime a dozen and I searched through multiple ones trying to find what would help...

Mostly just came across threads resulting in suggestions of bigger bore for more power etc. I am just looking for stock motor with filter, pipe, re-jet and not necessarily an answer of which jet to use, I know its gotta be a 107 or 110... it just doesn't seem right that it would respond so well at first and now it seems stock power. :):banghead: