Sign in to follow this  

showing signs

ok my snotrocket is begining to show signs that service will be required.

im not a hard mx'r so ive got some time, but i may need it.

a little too much "spooge" 1/8" ring around exhaust tip after 40 min ride.

and plug fowling frequency is slightly increased.

i'm riding a '95 kx 250 with a 310cc big bore kit.

its been years since ive torn down a 2 stroke, last one was an air cooler non power-valved 125.

what am i in for?

If you can get a manual for it, the first teardown will be easier. Radiators, water pump, and KIPS is about the only difference in the new and old. Still dirt simple compared to a 5 valve 4 stroke.

+1 manuals are a godsend. follow the manual and youll be running again in no time

i don't think that things are too worn, bike runs great now.

but im if cylinder or piston damage exists. can they be found?

Some 310 pistons are very hard to find. If it is based off the LASleve set up you can get a piston from them or KustomKraft but if it is a Eric Gorr or MaxPower piston they are very hard to find and I know of no source for them that I know of right now. I have 2 310s that use that piston and am unable to find pistons.

Ed

ok my snotrocket is begining to show signs that service will be required.

im not a hard mx'r so ive got some time, but i may need it.

a little too much "spooge" 1/8" ring around exhaust tip after 40 min ride.

and plug fowling frequency is slightly increased.

i'm riding a '95 kx 250 with a 310cc big bore kit.

its been years since ive torn down a 2 stroke, last one was an air cooler non power-valved 125.

what am i in for?

Your symptoms sound more like worn crank seals to me.

ed.

you responded to an earlier post of mine trying to identify my cylinder.

it is marked with a big PE on the right side.

(Professional Engineering out of florida i was told.)

I can't seem to google them, so i don't know how to get in touch with them to determine what piston was used.

If its an LA sleeve unit, does that mean a steel sleeve?

Chokey.

im betting that the seals are in need of replacing, but i believe that this means splitting the cases. (info gleened from this forum)

If im down to that level of service i will want a fresh topend as well

i was planning on using it this season while i collect the necessary parts so this winter i can freshin thing up, but it is sounding like i will need to pull the jug in order to determine what piston i have.

Ed, have you looked into cusom made pistons? Not so much MX companies, but snowmobile and jetski companies can get into custom stuff like that.

Or, you can go old school and make yourself a sand mold. :)

daled it can use the LASleeve piston and still be plated. The difference of why one piston works and not the other is the way the transfer ports are ported and in my motors the ring gaps of the LASleeve piston are in the wrong place. Erics and MaxPowers porting needs the ring gaps moved from the LASleeve setup. One Question is does it have a hole in the side of it on the intake like the stock KX piston, and can you see a number on the top of it also?

Jay I still have one spare brand new piston and rings for the future. I have moved the ring locating pins one a LASleeve piston and it works but I don't realy trust it.

Ed

thanks much for the info.

i'm going to ride it for now. ill collect every thing i can this summer. i will send photos this fall when i break it down. perhaps ill get lucky (but probably not) !