Sign in to follow this  

Rear foot-peg fabrication

Iv been wanting to take my girlfriend riding for a while now but i don't want her controlling it so i was thinking... i want to mount foot pegs on the rear of the swing arm for her feet...holding legs out gets very tiring on the hip so i was going to weld foot pegs to a plate of metal and run U hooks w. bolts over the swing arm to clamp it together...sound good or got any alternatives?

Iv been wanting to take my girlfriend riding for a while now but i don't want her controlling it so i was thinking... i want to mount foot pegs on the rear of the swing arm for her feet...holding legs out gets very tiring on the hip so i was going to weld foot pegs to a plate of metal and run U hooks w. bolts over the swing arm to clamp it together...sound good or got any alternatives?

Years ago, I added rear foot pegs to my KX500 race bike so I could show my wife around the trails. The foot pegs were removable. Here's how

1. The sub frame is square, so I simply used square tubing with an inside dimension equal to the outside dimension of the sub frame.

2. cut off one wall of the square tubing to make a "U".

3. Weld a 1/2" nut on the newly created "U" such that the hole is open to the outside of the bike.

4. Drill the inside of the nut to 1/2" to eliminate the threads.

5. Slip the "U" over the sub frame low enough to be able to see through both nuts from one side. Drill two holes in the sub frame and attach the "U" with the now welded on nuts.

6. Using 1/2" round stock, slide through both nuts so the round stock protrudes from each side. Mark and cut so about 1" protrudes past each nut.

7. Thread both ends of the 1/2" round stock to 1/2" coarse thread.

8. Using a 1/2" nut, weld on a piece of pipe about 3 1/2". You are making a foot peg that will screw onto the ends of the 1/2" round stock, so make two.

9. To use, attach one foot peg, slide the round stock through one nut and then the other. Attach the second foot peg, and go riding.

10. To remove, unscrew one foot peg and slide the rod out. Simple.

I rode my wife all over the place, including riding an Idaho City ISDE Qualifier trail the weekend after the event. We also spent a week at Moab, so this design had plenty of testing, and never failed. In addition, the sub frame never showed any sign of fatigue.

After the first ride, using a piece of aluminum plate, and made a seat pan that would sit over the rear fender, and used the seat bolts and fender bolts to hold the seat pan. I added some foam and cover (using a towel, plywood and staple gun), and she was comfy for hours.

The KX500 is long gone, and I now have a KTM525 as my low speed trail bike (not even close to the KX450), and setting things up much the same. For the seat, I am using a Pro Moto Billet rack from a 2003, and just machining new arms to attach to the 2007. I'll add foam and cover, along with foot pegs as I have described, and my wife will once again be with me on slow speed trail rides.

It's possible, but takes some work. I made my foot pegs removable, as I didn't want to take one in a leg during a crash, and didn't want to spend a lot of time removing.

Good luck