I can't get over these jumps!

I've been riding about 6 weeks (but I rode when I was like 11-12 on a 60).

Last week was my first time at a motocross track with my new bike (KTM SXF250) and I just can't make it over any of the bigger jumps. I am not scared at all, I just can't get enough speed. The jumps are pretty decent size, but they all come right after a turn.

I'm even hitting a couple of them in 4th gear 1/2 throttle and still not clearing them. I case like every bigger jump, and I pretty much hit them all in 4th.

I don't think I'm in too high of a gear either, because hitting them in third with the throttle pinned doesn't get me over them at all.

Help?!

Edit: Remember it's a KTM so it has 6 gears instead of 5.

Maybe your suspension is too soft and absorbing the jump? How much do you weigh?

Interesting that both of you mention suspension. I only weigh about 150. So should I tighten it up? I don't even really know how.

well i am no expert i dont know what track u r riding at either but i find that on my 250f(honda) 3rd gear will get me over whatever i want which leads me to think you are lugging your bike down really hard u may have the throttle wfo butttt it is not making power at all. I mean i jump 80 foot step ups all the time in third so get used to really winding your bike out more cause something just doesn't add up with your problem at all

suspension would help but if you have a late model KTM the jetting is usally way off and the gearing as well.

causing almost "no hit" when getting on the throttle. try seat bouncing a smaller jump to get the hang of it to see if that helps

well i am no expert i dont know what track u r riding at either but i find that on my 250f(honda) 3rd gear will get me over whatever i want which leads me to think you are lugging your bike down really hard u may have the throttle wfo butttt it is not making power at all. I mean i jump 80 foot step ups all the time in third so get used to really winding your bike out more cause something just doesn't add up with your problem at all

I'm not bogging down or anything, I'm not THAT bad. Remember that 3rd on a Honda is a bit different than 3rd on a KTM since there are 6 gears on a KTM.

The jumps aren't THAT big... if you go to

the biggest double that I can't get over is the one a guy hits at 18 seconds in (the closer guy, not the guy the camera is following)

suspension would help but if you have a late model KTM the jetting is usally way off and the gearing as well.

causing almost "no hit" when getting on the throttle. try seat bouncing a smaller jump to get the hang of it to see if that helps

So what do I do to the jetting and gearing? I don't really know anything about it.

well good thing is that you have a good track to learn your bike on and it looks really safe and looks like a fun track b rabbit is probably right about the gearing and you might wanna research on the tt forums to looks into jetting specs and gearing

i do have to say though that if your bike is not allowing you to get over that in third i really would like to ride a ktm to see the difference because it must be significantly different

what is the stock gearing on that bike? you may want to ad teeth to the rear sprocket. That jump wasn't really that big, your bike should have no problem clearing it. ?

See that's what I'm thinking... I don't really know how jetting and gearing works so I'm not really in a position to fix it myself. If I just bring it into a shop and tell them the problem should they know what to do?

I had a stock 2007 ktm 250sxf and they tend to rev out alot more than any bikes, Ive cleared jumps atleast that size in 3rd pinned. Make sure your not just spinning or anything and that you're caring good momentum through the corner and sitting back so that you have better traction

thats very strange, i ride a 125 (also 6 gears) and on most tracks i ride im barely ever into 4th gear. Are you letting off the gas at the lip of the jump? this would cause your speed off the jump to decrease dramatically.

I know you said you're not new at this, but hear me out. Even though you are in 4th, and you say you're not bogging, I bet you are no where near 1/2 throttle in that gear, even though the throttle is in that position. Does that make sense??? Let me explain further. I caould go through the gears on my 450 in a couple of seconds and be in 4th gear at 1/2 throttle, but not be at the speed that 1/2 throttle in 4th is because I haven't wound each gear out. Does that make sense?? Hopefully. That said, you need speed to clear a jump. What speed you need is determined by the jump size, configuration, angle of the takeoff, and many othert factors. Simply put, you're not going fast enough to clear the jump. You need to not worry about what gear you're in and worry about how fast you're going. I could tell you right now without watching a video of you, you are not winding your bike out in each gear. You would be surprised how far these modern 4 strokes rev out. So, wind 3rd out more, but there is something else. You need to carry more corner speed. Every failed jump attempt can be linked back to the preceding section. In practice I break the track down to sections and then link them together. Once you link that corner and that jump together, I think you will find the speed you need to clear it. Get on the gas earlier and harder in the corner, you'll get it. ?

I know you said you're not new at this, but hear me out. Even though you are in 4th, and you say you're not bogging, I bet you are no where near 1/2 throttle in that gear, even though the throttle is in that position. Does that make sense??? Let me explain further. I caould go through the gears on my 450 in a couple of seconds and be in 4th gear at 1/2 throttle, but not be at the speed that 1/2 throttle in 4th is because I haven't wound each gear out. Does that make sense?? Hopefully. That said, you need speed to clear a jump. What speed you need is determined by the jump size, configuration, angle of the takeoff, and many othert factors. Simply put, you're not going fast enough to clear the jump. You need to not worry about what gear you're in and worry about how fast you're going. I could tell you right now without watching a video of you, you are not winding your bike out in each gear. You would be surprised how far these modern 4 strokes rev out. So, wind 3rd out more, but there is something else. You need to carry more corner speed. Every failed jump attempt can be linked back to the preceding section. In practice I break the track down to sections and then link them together. Once you link that corner and that jump together, I think you will find the speed you need to clear it. Get on the gas earlier and harder in the corner, you'll get it. ?

great advice and perfect way to explain it :banghead:

right out of a turn and 4th Gear????

Idk about a KTM but dang unless thats a wide 3rd gear sweeper something tells me your shifting too early.

I can jump further winding the heckle out of myy 250F then mid RPM in 4th.

So you will see me ocassionally just say forget the shift out of the turn if i make a slight mistake and you'll hear a pinned 4 stroke.

Weird thing is even though u like to shift earlier the 4stroke will keep pulling. It doesnt just go stright out flat it just not as great of a increase. If that makes any sense.

Thanks man, I think you're right... I find myself trying to go from 2nd gear to 4th as fast as possible between the turn and the jump, so I'm definitely not winding it out... but I was trying that jump in 3rd and it felt like it was over revved and didn't even get my front wheel over. Maybe my wheel is spinning out I really dunno.

Well first off you need to make sure you have excellent control over your bike in the air since you've only been riding a short period of time.

But you may not be revving as much as you think you are. For example you may be in fourth but actually lugging it. Where as third pinned would send you a lot farther. Also try preloading. And make sure your back tire has tread. Other than that it may be your springs.