Sign in to follow this  

Brake qustion for RC

What would be the best front brake set-up for my 09 YZ 250? You were posting something earlier about CR calipers and MC's. We just need better stopping power.

Search YZ brakes and you'll see I did not invent any of this myself.

CR master cylinder is a good start. The cr/crf caliper that holds the older cr pads is nice as can be.

They sky is the limit here...up to and including an oversize rotor. How much are you willing to spend on this? It will make the conversation easier.

This was a good one, but there are MANY others!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739372&highlight=yz+brakes

I was wondering if the EBC oversize rotor and extension would be cheaper than CR calipers and MC. I just can't find anything on interchanging whatever year CR brake pads that might fit on my 09 yz. I would like to start cheap if I can.

I was wondering if the EBC oversize rotor and extension would be cheaper than CR calipers and MC. I just can't find anything on interchanging whatever year CR brake pads that might fit on my 09 yz. I would like to start cheap if I can.

The ebc is good and woudl help. However, it wont get rid of the mush feeling we all hate.

My "Cheap" would be the complete crf front system from one of the bike part guys on ebay. You can get a caliper, and mc for less than a new rotor. That lets you use the cr pads...which you can do with the ebc and a relocation bracket on your 09. The caliper will probably come with pads. This gets you good braking power and saves a pound over the ebc rotor. That thing is pretty heavy. Plus, your still stuck with yz pads or worse yet, ebc pads.

Sorry, but I have three more questions. What year CR caliper an MC should I look? Will all year CR calipers fit an 09 yz250? Do the CR brake pads themselves really make that much difference over yz or ebc pads?

The cr pads rule..far better than either of the two you mentioned.

The cr caliper should fit if you use the stock caliper hanger form your 09. I have not tried this exact switch, but I believe it works.

Try finding an 07 or newer cr caliper and M/c. Honda changed the master cylinder in 07 and it is supposed to be more powerful. I know my 07 rocks. Still, the older ones were great . The 07 and later have built in linkage thing between the lever and piston..front mc piston, and its supposed to be smoother with more power.

BUT, I can go out to my bike right now..crf m/c, crf caliper crf brake hose and slide in ebc or galfer carbon pads and end up with a mushy, underpowered pos. brake pads are a HUGE deal.

Thats the issue with the 09 yz caliper. I canot find decent pads (crf quality) that will drop in. maybe the renthals are ok. I like them on the rear of my yz, but they are nowhere near crf quality.

Is it safe to say 09 factory CR pads will NOT fit in 09 factory yz calipers? :banghead::)

I believe this to be true. One member said the cr pads would not fit his 2008 yz 250. Thsi is a real bummer as these pads are worth whatever they charge for them. Renthal also shows a different part number for the older yz pads and the new 09 pads.