just watched ON ANY SUNDAY !!!

Well, after reading various threads through the years about how amazing it apparently is, I went on Amazon.com and bought a remastered dvd along with "you're a good sport charlie brown" motocross episode...lol

Let me just say that I am absolutely floored, impressed, :banghead: :banghead: ? etc by this phenomenal film.

It started off a little slow, but once it got going, it was insane. And I actually learned so much. The camera footage is out of this world...especially for a film made in the early 70's.

The amount of heart and balls these men have is mind boggling. Guys riding with broken backs and shoulders....all to make a measly 20k a year take home AND.....AND....work on their own bikes. Kinda makes todays riders...even the greats like reed, stewart, RC, seem like premadonnas. So to all who havent seen it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you do.

I have dust to glory and its close to any sunday, but something about this filmography is so amazing....it really does capture the essence of why all of us are on this forum.....even after some hospital visits.

The flat track footage is really impressive, and really shows how much more dangerous the sport was back then. If I was to ride with only half of my protective gear, I'd still have twice as much protection as these guys.

Good for you. I actually saw this movie the first time in the theater as a kid. I thought it was the best movie ever. Over the years I told my girlfriend/fiance/wife that it was the greatest movie ever. She did not believe me and would not watch it. Finally, my son started to watch it. It is pretty much the ONLY video he was ever interested in and because of him, my wife sat and watched the whole movie. She LOVED it.

Because of my son I have probably seen it 100 times or more over the years. Still takes me back to my first bike (Honda SL70) and memories that I hope I still have on my death bed.

I signed up for netflix last week and on any Sunday is one of the movies they have for viewing over the net. They have a two week free thing going so you could watch Sunday and serveral other mc movies for free.

I signed up for netflix last week and on any Sunday is one of the movies they have for viewing over the net. They have a two week free thing going so you could watch Sunday and serveral other mc movies for free.

There was a thread on here about the best MX movies and On Any Sunday was mentioned over and over. I watched it instantly on Netflix like you mentioned. Definitely a great movie.

P.S. I just got Winners Take All in the mail today from Netflix. ?

I watched it a couple months ago, it was a little boring... it talked about MX for about 5 minutes and it moved on... I don't really care about street biking and cross-country stuff so I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I watched it a couple months ago, it was a little boring... it talked about MX for about 5 minutes and it moved on... I don't really care about street biking and cross-country stuff so I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Are you sure you watched "On Any Sunday" ?

I'm sorry, but I love that movie. It's a classic.

yes he does and he owns Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside, Ca.

http://www.malcolmsmith.com/aboutus.asp

He actually had a showing of the movie outside on a screen at his place for a fund raiser I believe.

That's what I heard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), I was bummed that I missed it.

He Also owns MSR, Malcom Smith Racing ?

I remember watching it as a kid with my dad in the 70's. I remember absolutely loving that movie but I haven't seen it in atleast 30 years. Wasn't Kenny Roberts a big part of it?

I need to get a copy and show it to my son. Nothing cooler than doing the same thing with your kid that you did with your dad.

You absolutely could not have seen On Any Sunday. Even if you are narrowly focused on MX there is enough in OAS to make you watch and enjoy the whole movie. Are you sure it wasn't OAS 2 you saw...which was a different producer/director that paid a fee to use the name...it didn't even come close.

In answer to the question about Kenny Roberts...No kenny was not in On Any Sunday. The bulk of the movie was shot in 1970 and Kenny was an unknown Novice at the time. The featured rider for AMA pro racing was Mert Lawill, the Harley Davidson factory rider who was carrying the #1 plate at the time. The year was the first of the all 750 rule and the HD factory was using the first generation iron barrel XR 750 that was a very unreliable bike. Remember also that back then, road racing was in the same champoinship series as flat track and TT...You had to do it all to be #1. The climactic scene for AMA pro racing was the 4 riders that all could win # 1 at the last race of the series...Dick Mann (BSA), Jim Rice (BSA), David Aldana (BSA), and Gene Romero (Triumph) watch the movie to see who won.

One final note about something posted earlier...Back in 1970, $20 K net was pretty good...A guy could eek out a living just running the local races and weekly programs of pro races they had then. If you had a good week in the midwest short tracking 2 or 3 nights a week you could pocket $150 to $300 from purse money alone and bump that up running a local fairgrounds 4 Star ( $1200 purse) half mile. Pretty good considering a union truck driver would only be taking home about $100 a week with a little OT. A new car cost under 3 grand and you could buy a home with a 30 year mortgage at about 3 % for less than 30 grand......Inflation sucks!

Maybe that's why back in those days there were about 4000 licensed pro racers...today there are less than 400 in ALL pro categories...flat track, road race and MX.

Not only is On Any Sunday a great movie that captures the spirit of motorcycle riding and racing that endures to this day...even after so many years...But it is a wonderful glimpse into the historical heyday...the glory days of motorcycle racing. That era was truly a great and unique era that will never come again.

• Like 1

yeah the last scene really is what its all about. Those guys took some pretty good falls and got up like it was nothin and were wearing jeans. lol. I showed it to my gf last night and she even enjoyed it, though she thought the music sucked....I think the music is very appropro.

You're a good sport charlie brown is apparently about/inspired by Shultz's son who rides