Sign in to follow this  

The battle with my front brakes rages on..

Some backround - I just wanted to change my front pads.

Put some new ones on and the wheel wouldn't turn. My pistons were so crudded up they wouldn't go back into the caliper to allow room for the new pads. So I rebuilt the caliper, cleaning the seals and pistons, and reassembling. The wheel turned a little more freely so I took it on a test ride and this happened:

P1010011.jpg

So I figured I needed a new disk. I bought one. Sheared some bolts, bought some new ones. The rotor is slightly wider than stock and with my 2nd new set of EBC pads, it won't fit nicely into the caliper: P1010010.jpg

My question is, can I just file down the above pictured inside pad to allow a little more clearance between the caliper and disk on the outside? Any secret to filing brake pads? Thanks for any advice. This is killing me.. I just wanted new brake pads.

haha damn brakes. that would be pretty frustrating. any who im no expert but i cant see y you couldnt sand or file then down. put them to a belt grinder or something.

Just realized my caliper won't move on its pins. Probably seized up after my test ride when everything got up to 1000 degrees. I'll try to get it moving again.

Yup. Pins were completely seized. I had to hammer the caliper off the mounting plate. Bent the pins. Need a new caliper and third set of pads as my second set was completely covered in brake fluid while removing the caliper. Bike wins.

i hate that you are having those problem i fought for 4hrs trying to get my rear brakes to work and then loaded the bike up got to the track and then my front was gone..have no idea why

I had Brake issues a few years back when I bought a used CR 250.

I went to change the pads and lower brake pin had seized in the threads.Tried an easy out and no dice.Had to cut it out and replace the caliper.Since that incident I am very religous about brake maintenance.

I replaced the stock allen head brake pins with moose 8mm head brake pins(No more stripping and eliminated mud collecting in the bolt head) and coat the threads with ant-seize.

I dissasemble braks once a month or after every race or mud/sand ride to clean and relube all pad/pin/caliper piston contact points(Sliding points) with brake grease and clean pads with brake cleaner.Lastly bleed the brakes.

It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.Spending a lil time doing this every so often can make your pads/rotors and caliper components last considerably longer and save you money in the long run.

Once I get this setup going, I'll be religious as well.

Bought this bike about a month ago. Since then have had to purchase a new rear caliper. Similar issue to the one you had except I stripped out the allen bolt flathead cap. Tried to EZout and broke it off inside the bolt.

I think the previous owner parked this bike in saltwater when he wasn't riding it. Oh well, it's experiences like these that make you appreciate it even more when it's finally in great working condition again.