Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke turned into 2 stroke

Is it possible to turn a 4 stroke into a 2 stroke? I know its a broad put question, but I always wondered if you get a small 4 stroke engine with ohv that had just a one speed transmission and rip all top end parts off so its just the transmission, then fab a 2 stroke top end to that transmission.

Anything is possible, with enough time and money. A VW Jetta could be turned into a plane if you wanted to, and would about the same level of difficulty as converting a 4S to a 2S

Is there such a thing as a two stroke with conventional valves? My limited understanding of two strokes is that they use reed (?) valves and the ports are basically in the side of the cylinder walls. Rather than intake, compression, power, and exhaust strokes, you have intake/power on one stroke and exhaust/compression on the other. the ports have one way valves at different heights on the cylinder that allow air/fuel or exhaust gasses to enter and exit. I don't see how that could be accomplished with OHVs.

I'm sure I butchered the concepts here, but they seem like two totally different animals.

Is there such a thing as a two stroke with conventional valves?

2 stroke diesels have conventional exhaust valves, and use a positive displacement supercharger instead of reed valves on the intake side.

A VW Jetta could be turned into a plane if you wanted to...

Not a Jetta but the premise was already done in 1964.:)

Matador.jpg