Sign in to follow this  

troubleshooting 2000 rm250

I have 2000 rm250. it was running and died, started it back up and it died after 10 sec of running. It has good compression and feels like everything is still connected in the motor. My question is--what should I look at first? Ignition? broken ring? or what?

The last time I worked on a two stroke was a 1979 rm 125,and it acted the same way with a broken ring. I understand the motors now have a powervalve and other parts they did not have when I last worked on them, and I have not torn one down in over 25 years.

Any help would be very much appreciated --thanks

steve

I also have a 2000 RM 250, great bike. I had my sons CR do the same thing you are describing last weekend. It turned out to be trash clogging up the carb. I dropped the bowl, took out the jets, cleaned them , put it back together. Now it is as good as new. Hope yours is this simple too.

It could be fuel related, has it been sitting for long ? try some fresh fuel and as he said pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, while the carb is out check the reeds. also check the petcock strainer in the tank