Sign in to follow this  

dunlop D739 120/100-18 VS. 110/100-18

my dad and i were talking yesterday about that. my theory is that because the 120/100 is wider, it will handle better slidding into corners and power slides. what is your take on it..............?

and how do they measure the width....................cm,mm, etc.

thanks, michael

A skinnier tire handles better. A wider tire gets better traction.

nailed it :)

The first number is the width of the tire in mm.

The second number is the aspect ratio or side wall height in percentage.

i.e. if the the tire is 120/100 18 the width is 120mm the side wall will be 100 percent of that(120x100%) making it also 120 mm.

And of course the 18 is the rim in inches.

A wider tire will actually put less pounds per square inch to the ground. If that translates to more or less traction I don't know.

And my experience is that the wider tires ruin the handling. I tried the wider front/rear tires on my KX250. The wider front tire would climb out of ruts very aggressively, and the wider rear tire would over-power the front in turns and make the bike push pretty bad. I'll stick with stock sizes.

And my experience is that the wider tires ruin the handling. I tried the wider front/rear tires on my KX250. The wider front tire would climb out of ruts very aggressively, and the wider rear tire would over-power the front in turns and make the bike push pretty bad. I'll stick with stock sizes.

Yeah but he asked about rear tires. A skinny rear tire will lean over easier and alow you to hit turns harder and faster but a wider rear tire will give you better traction everywhere no matter what.