Sign in to follow this  

cleaning air filter!!

i was just wondering if you guys had any certain ways or chemicals that you cleaned your air filters with. i use uni filters and the uni air filter cleaner can get really expensive. do you guys use anything else to clean them such as just water and dawn soap i think ive heard of before? thanks

I can tell ya what not to do by a 75.00 mistake. I use the spray super tack oils.Regular degreaser never seems to get it all off and soap & water does not work.I've been using gas which worked great and I know your not supposed to but kerosene stinks. Anyways last time I washed them in gas which I never had A problem as longs as I washed them in the sink afterwords.Well last time I was lazy and threw them in the washer which I debated if I would get in trouble by the wife So. I sprayed some shout on them so the washer wouldn't smell like gas. Well between the gas,shout & washer one or all three contributed to shreding all three filters.25.00 x 3 = a 75.00 booboo.

I'm gonna go back to using the degreaser.If you go to Wallmart a can is about 1.75 as apposed to 8.00 at a motoshop.Wish I could find or my shops stocked Klotz filter oil wich is like just spray on oil with no super tacky crap.

i use mineral turpentine to do mine. wash it in that, then get a dry towel and scrunch it dry. i leave it on the washing line for an hour or so to dry it right out. i get the filter oil, chuck the filter in a plastic bag and pour the oil in on it.scrunch it around and it wont get on your hands! chuck it in the bike and let it sit for 24 hours so the oil dries (riding the bike with a wet filter can cause it to run lean because there might still be some turps in the filter).

No Toil and you can get it at most automotive strores but it has generic name on it read it and it will say No Toil its the way to go imo. I found it Good Guys, western auto, and Napa

I always got the Twin air cleaner. Worked great but I was going through this stuff at 36.00 a can.

I was told about Mineral Spirits. Heck ya, $8.00 at walmart paint section. Clean better then twin air stuff. Almost makes them new.

- Never tried the gas

I've got a couple of no toil filters, and use tide powdered laundry detergent and warm water to clean the filter and just the standard no toil stuff to oil it back up.

x2 for the notoil cleaner as well. You can toss your gear in the washer with 1/2 a cup of the cleaner and your filter and good as new!! Oil it up after ward and you're ready to ride. Also a new product that is REALLY cool but can be hard to get is (Awful name) Swaaf from RockOil. It's a water soluable airfilter oil. It works unbelievably well. Literally hose it off, let it dry, and reoil.

have read in heaps of magazines not to use petrol (gas) to clean filters. the additives in the fuel eat the glue that holds them together and can open them up leaving a gaping hole for the engine to suck in dirt

i use pj1 foam filter cleaner.. Works great and is only like 8 bucks for a big can.

i would not use anything else but NOTOIL. Its the only way to go.

i would not use anything else but NOTOIL. Its the only way to go.

+1 Same here

My favorite ways are:

1) Have used Twin-air cleaner- liked it alot, but is expensive

2) Mineral spirits. DIRT CHEAP. th mineral spirits only takes the filter oil off. after doing that you need to wash the filter in warm water with soap and the dirt comes out. works very well.

3) Safety-Kleen tank. (Parts washer. just about all repair shops have them)

Works well, is quick, just rinse out in the tank and then use compressed air to blow the filters dry.

can someone tell me where to get mineral spirits? also what does it look like so i know where to look...thanks

Me, I also like no-toil

Didn't know you could get the stuff else where like auto parts store. Ill have to look at that

the clearner used ti clean no-toil is oxyclean that you can get anywhere.

Wash them in the washer and for get about them

No stink no mess

I like to buy about 3 of thier filters 11X3=33 for the year plus the oil and cleaner not realy bad im my book

Me, I also like no-toil

Didn't know you could get the stuff else where like auto parts store. Ill have to look at that

yes its there just remember it has a generic brand in bold letters but look at close in small case it has no toil and the no tiol sighn. its usually got a big

N2 it will say made by no toil