Sign in to follow this  

I know it's DS tire question, sorry.

I'm planning on getting some new shoes for Suzi in the next couple of weeks and dump the Trailwings. The Trailwings are great on the street but give me an uneasy feeling when I get off the asphalt. They are better at low pressure but that really ain't sayin' much. GP-1/Shinko or 606's top my list. Most of my riding is on pavement and forest service roads with some occasional light trails to get me to a fishin hole or high mountain lake.

So my noobie question is for those that have had expeience with both tires. How is the GP-1 off the pavement and how does the 606 compare to the GP-1 on the pavement. People seem to love and stand behind both tires. I’m no knee dragger in the twisties but I ain’t also afraid to bust brush on a deer trail if need be (and legal) either.

(Hell, I may have just talked myself into getting a GP-1 or Shinko on the front and a 606 on the back.)

i have ran the 606s and find them to be the best road worthy knobby going

(just my opinion)

They will wear fast in the centre if you ride on paved roads alot

but when you need to get through the poop they are great

Check out the picture in the "my garage" underneath my online name, that is a 130/90/17 dunlop 606, it just fits

good luck,

Dirtbag

The tire topic has been beaten to death and it resurected it's self and got beaten to death again. Do a search and you will find all the information you need.

Nothin wrong with talking tires for Duel Sports on a D/S site.

You might look into a Mefo Explorer for your needs. Not as aggresive as a 606 but it has pretty good traction for trail riding and will last a long time on the road.

FWIW - I love the D606, but it is not a great road tire. If you are doing mostly street with a few trails thrown in, I would get more of a street-oriented tire. The D606 is made for 90% on road and 10% off, and it sounds like you ride the opposite.

I have had the 606 and the Pirelli MT21 and the Pirelli is way better road knobby and they have good wear mileage.

I agree. I've tried about every tire made for DS. The MT21 is my favorite on/off rubber. GP-1 if you haul butt in the corners and still have some control on dirt.

The tire topic has been beaten to death and it resurected it's self and got beaten to death again. Do a search and you will find all the information you need.

WHaaaaa, whaaaaa, whaaaa :) . You could see that it was a tire question by the title so why not just skip it. Trust me I have spent quite a bit of time on-line searching tire threads and reading reviews. I simply wanted to pose a last question to those with some experience with both tires prior to purchasing one or the other.

Nothin wrong with talking tires for Duel Sports on a D/S site.

You might look into a Mefo Explorer for your needs. Not as aggresive as a 606 but it has pretty good traction for trail riding and will last a long time on the road.

Thanks CaptTurbo and everyone else for your suggestions. Mefo's are actually on next on my list along with the MT21's mentioned. I'll give 'em another look.

My riding is actually closer to 60/40 on-off but neither is terribly aggressive (yet). I'm still getting used to the size and weight of this thing. Being a noob I seem to find myself in "situations" more often than not when checking things out off-road. My in town stuff is only 5 miles a day but on weekends I can put 30-60 on the highway and 80-120 on forest service, old logging roads and trails of various conditions. With a rare road trip thrown in when I can get away from the warden(wife) and kids. I guess I was more curious about the GP-1/Shinko244 on dirt because they are the right price and look somewhat aggressive. The 606's are real aggressive but well known for being able to do it all if you don't mind the street noise.

Anyway thanks for the imput. I'll be sure and chime in down the road with my own personal experience when some noob askes a tire question in the future.

I have the Shinkos and for under $100 both delivered you can't beat them. Wear great on the street and with reduced air pressure are perfect for forest trails. Don't expect to keep up with the MX boys tho.

Shinko.jpg

I have had the 606 and the Pirelli MT21 and the Pirelli is way better road knobby and they have good wear mileage.
The MT21 is an excellent tire all around.

I would rather have the MT21 on the front and a 50/50 type tire (GP-1, Kenda270) on the rear for a 50/50 road-dirt mix.

I have the Shinkos and for under $100 both delivered you can't beat them. Wear great on the street and with reduced air pressure are perfect for forest trails. Don't expect to keep up with the MX boys tho.

Shinko.jpg

The Shinko tread looks very much like to the GP1, K270. I don't know anything about the Shinko compound but from my experience the GP-1 lasts quite a bit longer than the K270.

A brand new GP-1 or K270 is actually a very aggressive tire until it gets down to about 60-70%

They are all good tires in my opinion. :)

I have also had the GP-1's and found them to be a very good 50/50 tire. I was very surprised to find they lasted as long as the TW's. As was said, all tires are going to be better when new and even 606's or MT21's are not much better after 50% of the tread is gone. My brother is running a set of the 270's and they seem to be the same as the GP-1's, maybe a different rubber compound.

For less than $100 a pair, the GP-1's of 270's are a good choice.

I have also had the GP-1's and found them to be a very good 50/50 tire. I was very surprised to find they lasted as long as the TW's. As was said, all tires are going to be better when new and even 606's or MT21's are not much better after 50% of the tread is gone. My brother is running a set of the 270's and they seem to be the same as the GP-1's, maybe a different rubber compound.

For less than $100 a pair, the GP-1's of 270's are a good choice.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion but ... The stock TWs are great street tires but really suck in the area of life span. I eat them up in 2000 miles. My earlier suggestion of the Mefos deals with this short coming. They will blow you away with longevity. They grip well on the street, wet or dry and they do pretty well in the dirt as long as we are not talking mud. In my mind this is the heart and soul of a duel sport tire. It has to work well anywhere and live long enough to get you to your destination. Just sayin ... :)

I'd go Pirelli MT21 front and Shinko 244/IRC GP1 rear.

Good knobby front that's also good on the seal and lasts well and a good general purpose rear.

I'd go Pirelli MT21 front and Shinko 244/IRC GP1 rear.

Good knobby front that's also good on the seal and lasts well and a good general purpose rear.

I hadn't thought of that, makes sense to me, the front is what usually gets squirrely on the dry gravelly dirt roads I’m charging down here in Idaho. That’s of course with the aired down Trailwings, I know a lot of folks really like the MT-21 on the front for that kind of riding. Spending a little extra on the front and a $40 Shinko 244 or a $60 Maxxis C6006 on the rear since it's going to wear out faster anyway sounds like a plan. I can spend the savings on some tire irons and wheel weights, going on from there as my skills increase. Then I'll learn for myself what I need to get me there and back again.

Thanx guy's

I have had the D606s and am currently running the Kenda K270s. The riding I do is pavement to get to good trails and gravel roads. I have found that they stick to a trail pretty darn well unless it is real wet. For the money I think that they are one of the best for true D/S-ing. I think I got both delivered to the house for like $87. I know lots of guys don't like them but I have no complaints. Just my $.02.

What is like a GP1 or MEFO Explorer, and available in a 19" front for my weestrom. It, and I, don't like the TKC80 i put on there.

which is just one of many reasons why my DR gets ridden about thrice the miles of the Weestrom currently :thumbsup:

I've got a Duro HF-904, it does better than i thought off-road, and does excelent on road..Bad thing is when the tire pressure gets low, it tends to squirm around on sharp corners, other than that GREAT tire! It'd be perfect for trails, nothin too major though.

Good Luck!

FWIW - I love the D606, but it is not a great road tire. If you are doing mostly street with a few trails thrown in, I would get more of a street-oriented tire. The D606 is made for 90% on road and 10% off, and it sounds like you ride the opposite.

I run M21s front and a Dunlop 606 on the rear, these tires are 90% Off Road/ 10% On. Much better then the TW when off road..

Ready to replace stock trailwings, I have a new Mefo for the rear and trying to decide between the MT21 or TKC80 for the front. I ride my DR650 on road a good bit but also ride alot of FS and dirt roads. Any suggestions which would be better front tire?